RN CAG vs. IJN CAG 1935

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Admiral Beez

Captain
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Before the introduction of the Mitsubishi A5M in 1936 the British Royal Navy was seemingly on a more competitive level. So, how do the Japanese and British carrier forces compare in 1935? For starters, most of Japan's carriers are not completed in 1935, so to keep it somewhat equal let's use three available carriers from each side.

IJN
CV Akagi (as built 1927, 60 aircraft)
CV Ryujo (as built 1933, 37 aircraft)
CV Hosho (as built 1922, 21 aircraft)
Fighter Kawasaki Ki-10 (edit, Nakajima A2M)
Torpedo Mitsubishi B2M
Divebomber Aichi D1A

RN
CV Courageous (as built 1928, 48 aircraft)
CV Glorious (as built 1930, 38 aircraft)
CV Furious (as built 1925, 36 aircraft)
Fighter
Hawker Nimrod
Torpedo Fairey Seal and Blackburn Shark
Divebomber (none, but Shark has 1,600 lb. bombs)

Last edited:
Interesting discussion, but why would we use a Japanese Army Biplane Fighter (the Ki-10) and not what the Japanese Navy actually flew the Nakajima A4N?
Whoops. Swap in the Nakajima A2M. Thanks. Nimrod should match up against the A2M nicely.
If this is by 1935,
Indeed. I've chosen 1935 as this is the last year where the FAA and IJNAF are about equal.

Ok another question, do we stick with the actual production numbers of the A/C? Also your link to the Aichi D1A lists its max bomb load at over 800lbs. But I am no expert on pre WWII Japanese Navel aircraft. So I do not know what compromise would have to be made for it to carry a 551lb bomb. What effect on fuel load, or would it require keeping the rear gunner back at base or not.

Also where would the confrontation take place? I suspect that the Japanese Fleet would have better access to resupply

Ok another question, do we stick with the actual production numbers of the A/C?
I suggest we give all six carriers their specified aircraft numbers (118 IJN, 122 FAA) and historic ratios of fighters to strike aircraft, whatever those were. Here's the IJN Kaga conducting air operations in 1937. On deck are the Nakajima A2N, Aichi D1A, and Mitsubishi B2M from my post above.

4f079da716f3a61822531a5a37c03540.jpg

HMS Glorious' assembly of Fairey Seals is comparatively underwhelming.

6013675.jpg

Also your link to the Aichi D1A lists its max bomb load at over 800lbs.
Silly me, I didn't catch Wikipedia's inconsistent UOMs, some pages have kg first, others lbs first.
Also where would the confrontation take place? I suspect that the Japanese Fleet would have better access to resupply
We'd want a place where neither side has a big advantage. Perhaps around some of Britain's Australasian colonies, such as the Solomon Islands.

Last edited:
The British have the faster and lighter fighter with their 194 mph Nimrod vs. Japan's 182 mph A2N. Both fighters have the same .303" (7.7mm) twin guns, but the Nimrod's 4 × 20 lb bombs could make a mess of a crowded flight deck. Both fighters have essentially identical ~300 mile ranges.

In my book, the Hawker Nimrod is the prettiest biplane carrier fighter of them all.

In 1935, did the British and Japanese carriers still have their forward hangar flying off decks? That should play a part?

5927591890.jpg

o9si62oh93qx.jpg

Last edited:
The Blackburn Shark, with its high 150 mph speed and "heavy" 1,600 lb. bomb load will need to be the primary target of the A2N. The Shark below is armed with I believe two 250 lb. bombs, so would there be a 1,000 lb. bomb under the centreline?

1Blackburnshark4.jpg

This one appears to have two larger and two smaller bombs under the wings?

shark-11.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back