RNZAF Heritage Flight flypast

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nuuumannn

Major
Oct 12, 2011
Nelson
Hi Guys, it's the RNZAF's 85th birthday on the 1st April and a planned flypast of towns and cities didn't eventuate, so yesterday (Sunday here at the front of the world) the RNZAF Heritage Flight flew between its home base of Ohakea in the central North Island down to Christchurch in the South Island, stopped for a loo break and a pie and then headed back. They flew via Nelson, where I live at the top of the South Island for a flyover of the airport and town. I captured them over the airport, which provided an opportunity to get some local wildlife on camera too. A few from my afternoon's outing.

The RNZAF Historic Flight comprises two T-6 Texan IIs, a Grumman Avenger and a Supermarine Spitfire. The Avenger and Spitfire are privately owned and have permission from the RNZAF to camp at Ohakea. The Spitty was restored in New Zealand and the Avenger was brought into the country as well and are both owned and operated by Brendon Deere, who is the great nephew of wartime Spitfire pilot Wg Cdr Al Deere and one of New Zealand's highest scoring aces.

The Heritage Flight flypast.

_DSC4780

_DSC4781

_DSC4784

_DSC4785

_DSC4787

_DSC4791

_DSC4792

_DSC4793

_DSC4795

Some locals getting in the way of the camera lens...

_DSC4750

_DSC4753

_DSC4756

_DSC4762

_DSC4764

_DSC4765

_DSC4769

_DSC4778

_DSC4802

_DSC4804

More pics here: RNZAF Heritage Flight, Nelson Airport

Thanks for looking.