Rolls Royce Griffon (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tjen il-vec

Airman
Nov 4, 2005
Well, obviously I'm the first to post a thread on this yet unused forum...

I've tried to look on the internet but somehow cannot find what I'm looking for so I hope someone with some knowledge about the Griffon engine can help me with the follwing; what is the firing order of this engine. Apparently it's different from a Merlin to reduce resonance on the crankshaft...

Does anybody know this?

Tjen il-vec

I dont know but Im sure some cleaver guy will tell you however Im off to Duxford at the weekend for flying legends if the static merlins are running i'll ask the engineers for you.

Attachments

• Griffon.jpg
    Griffon.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 970
Very nice picture there my friend! Well, I'm leaving fridaymorning to visit Flying Legends so your suggestion to ask an engineer on site is a good one. I would have anyway I think but that's more because when I'm confronted with a static engine that this question will come up anyway ;)

Actually my question came up because I ran in to this video: (copy the url in your address bar... cant manage to get it into a direct link I'm afraid)

AlltheWeb.com: Video results for "Spitfire" and go for the last one on this page, the MK-XIV.

Here you can see the primingflames going back and forth and on the other side the opposite way.... very cool to see by the way!

I read in a Magazine, that a person have made a "copy" of a Mahoganycruiser,And put 2 (two)) Griffon engines in it.. Hope to get 100 knots at 80 % power:shock:

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I as I was going through the posts, I saw your request.
Well, if it still can be of help to you or anyone else, you can find the firing orders of almost all V-12s here:
Firing Orders

Guy

I dont know but Im sure some cleaver guy will tell you however Im off to Duxford at the weekend for flying legends if the static merlins are running i'll ask the engineers for you.

Very nice picture. Do they actually fire that thing up? How do they cool it? I'm surprised it's not already in a Mustang or a Spitfire, there aren't that many left (the Unlimited air racers kept blowing them up).

Thanks altair, Ive been trying to figure this one out off and on for a while. Very interesting website.

You're welcome Micdrow, although I should be the one thanking you. You are a major contributor to this forum, and in the 3 days I've been here, I think I've seen only one thousand of everything I'd like to see...
Your documents on engines were priceless.
Thanks again.

Hi, sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I'm one of the guys who builds and runs one of these engines. I'm glad you like em.
if any of you kind folks have any merlin parts you'd like to see bought bck to life, please drop me a line, I'll pay obviously. if I can aford it,

steve

The direction of the Griffon's rotation was determined because the British aero industry body decided to standardise rotation in the mid 1930s (ie after the Merlin was designed, but before the Griffon).

The direction of the Griffon's rotation was determined because the British aero industry body decided to standardise rotation in the mid 1930s (ie after the Merlin was designed, but before the Griffon).

That makes sense, then. For a long time I had the horrid thought peeking around the back of my brain that it was just Rolls-Royce demonstrating technological arrogance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back