Rotax Magnetos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ProudKerman

Airman
Jan 23, 2015
Hi
So I just picked up two Rotax magnetos to suit Merlin engines.

I was wondering if anyone had any info on them or anything like that. I have multiple Merlin Manuals but they all talk about timing.

Any experts able to tell me how to test them and possibly get them working?
Attached some pics for your enjoyment
:)
Cheers

WP_20151018_19_51_45_Pro.jpg

WP_20151018_19_52_00_Pro.jpg

WP_20151018_19_52_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20151018_19_52_41_Pro.jpg

WP_20151018_19_53_08_Pro.jpg

Are they "sparking" when rotated? Unless you have a "test bench" teh only other way is to actually install them. What paperwork did you get with them?

That data is for a bendix magneto. Although the operating principles are the same using this data in wrong and potentially dangerous. It seems to be a model 37A.

CORRECTION - my bad - it does mention Rotax on the 2nd page. Be careful when rotating it! (Providing it still rotates)

Last edited:
Exactly!

I got thrown a capacitor that had been tested but not discharged once. Unfortunately your first reaction is to catch it... Mine isn't any more.

Before anyone asks - its high voltage, low current so the risk is actually fairly minimal.

Exactly!

I got thrown a capacitor that had been tested but not discharged once. Unfortunately your first reaction is to catch it... Mine isn't any more.

Before anyone asks - its high voltage, low current so the risk is actually fairly minimal.

I had a teacher who I was demonstrating a leyden jar to, and I accidentally knocked it off the table. He caught it and learned the same lesson.

Exactly!

my dad worked in a radio shop after the war and he told me about that. charging a cap and tossing it so someone seemed to be the gag played on you when they were new. like you said, after the first time you are very leery about catching anything tossed to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back