RR “Spirit of Innovation”

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For 15 Min. I wonder what max endurance is.

RRSpirtOfInnovation-1.jpg
RRSpirtOfInnovation-2.jpg

Actually, now that you mention it, maybe that would work. Lots of power available for charging, if a generating system can be devised using the 4 jet engines, along with a suitable charging cord and receptacle. Think BIG guitar cable.:cool:

I have a friend, Brian, an IT guy. In the 80s, at a former employer (the old Burroughs company, which became UNISYS) they had devised a mobile airborne check processing system (ACH or Automated Clearing House) onboard some kind of commercial jet airliner/cargo plane. The paper checks would be picked up at various locales, sorted and processed in-flight, the data transmitted to the users, the processed/cancelled checks would be dropped off, more checks picked up for more processing, etc.

I think the advantage was that it would make for a much faster turnaround time than the normal old-fashioned manual ACH process for paper checks at that time. Time IS money, you know. Now, Point of Purchase checks, the internet, as well as many other high-tech innovations have certainly changed paper-check processing. The airborne check processing did go for a while, at least.

The relative point is that Brian said that the big jet airplanes being used in the process had PLENTY of electrical power capability on board, via the generating capability of the engines, for operating the check processing equipment. Maybe there'd be enough to charge the Spirit of Innovation.

Somebody get a hold of Elon Musk NOW!!!!!

Okay, now everybody chime in.

What I failed to acknowledge in my "imaginative" theory above is the amount of "linger time" it would involve to recharge. Could add some time to the flight, maybe, among other challenges.

My friend Brian said that the airborne check processing project showed promise when conceived, but when the then-high interest rates dropped, the project was cancelled. When the cost of money declined (thank goodness), the project wouldn't pencil out.

The colours are definitely along the lines of the Speed Spitfire and Supermarine racers.
1633454149840.png

The colours are definitely along the lines of the Speed Spitfire and Supermarine racers.
View attachment 643808
The colour seems very close to Fastmongrel's Bristol Bletchely.

Actually a charging station would be possible: Just produce a huge aircraft with solar panels and shitloads of batteries; then use a flying boom fitted with a giant plug that could transfer the juice to the aircraft.

What's the worst that could happen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back