Rudolf Sigmund

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sep 12, 2006
Hello,

I am looking for all information on this Nightfighter. Did the google search, i am looking for info beyond that ! Looking for pictures, books which may feature him etc !

Rudolf Sigmund (5 March 1915 – 4 October 1943) was a German Luftwaffe night fighter ace and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross during World War II. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. In 150 missions Rudolf Sigmund claimed 28 aerial victories, 26 of them at night.[Note 1] On 5 October 1943, Sigmund and his crew were killed when their Bf-110 was shotdown in aerial combat southwest of Göttingen

Units: NJG1, NJG3

All help is greatly appriciated !

Chris

According to the Kracker Archive he was shot down by 'friendly' Flak over Kassel, crashing near Gottingen, on 3rd October 1943. All the crew were killed, Sigmund, Bauer and Dittrich are all buried in the cemetery at Reichenbruch. The aircraft was a Bf 110 G-4, Werknummer 5560, coded D5+AD. Sigmund held the rank of Major (or Hauptmann in some sources) and was Kommandeur of III./NJG 3 at the time of his death. He was appointed as Gruppenkommandeur on 31st August 1943

I don't remember seeing any photographs of this aircraft, but that doesn't mean they don't exist!

According to Theo Boiten in 'Night Airwar' this is one of Sigmund's earlier aircraft. The picture is taken at Leeuwarden and is of a Bf 110 coded R4+CC of II./NJG 2. It was taken in the autumn of 1942 when Sigmund had 7 night victories.

Sigmund_zps675d71f6.gif

Steve

Last edited:
Hello,

I am looking for all information on this Nightfighter. Did the google search, i am looking for info beyond that ! Looking for pictures, books which may feature him etc !

Rudolf Sigmund (5 March 1915 – 4 October 1943) was a German Luftwaffe night fighter ace and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross during World War II. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. In 150 missions Rudolf Sigmund claimed 28 aerial victories, 26 of them at night.[Note 1] On 5 October 1943, Sigmund and his crew were killed when their Bf-110 was shotdown in aerial combat southwest of Göttingen

Units: NJG1, NJG3

All help is greatly appriciated !

Chris

Hi, You may be interested, but Oblt Rudolf Sigmund shot down my father's Halifax.W1107. DY-D on 9July 1942
21 km NW of Grönigen.
My dad and the other members of the crew,except the Mid Upper gunner,who was killed in the attack,baled out successfully.
Dad was hit in the leg by shrapnel,which he carried with him from that night!

Hello Flyingace !

Wow you have a very brave father ! Did you see the silver cup I have in my collection from Sigmund ? (Nice piece of Nightfighter history !) It was awarded to him for the shooting of 25 aircraft by his fellow pilots.

Do you have some pictures of your father during his service years and his aircraft ? If so I would love to see them !

Thanks alot for your reply !

Chris

Hi, You may be interested, but Oblt Rudolf Sigmund shot down my father's Halifax.W1107. DY-D on 9July 1942
21 km NW of Grönigen.

Sigmund's seventh victory. I assume from the time of the combat (01.52) that your father was on his way to Wilhelmshaven. I believe he took off from RAF Topcliffe shortly after midnight. He was unlucky, only 5 of the 285 aircraft on the raid were lost and his was his ( No.102) squadron's only loss that night.
Looking at the crew it was representative of the mixed British and Commonwealth crews of the time, including an Aussie and a Canadian along with the Brits.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back