Savoia Marchetti SM75

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

WAKEN

Airman 1st Class
Jan 1, 2006
Did the SM 75 have any armament? I have also read that apart from it's primary role as a transport plane the SM 75 was also used as a bomber. What bomb load could it carry?

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks for that...so the bomber version was the SM82. Did the SM75 itself have any defensive armament?

Thanks,

Neil

Hi !!!

The link with a photo
http://1000aircraftphotos.com/APS/2610.htm

Type: S.M.75
Function: transport
Year: 1939 Crew: 4-5 Engines: 3 * 750hp Alfa Romeo A.R. 126 RC 34
Wing Span: 29.68m Length: 21.60m Height: 5.10m
Wing Area: 118.60m2
Empty Weight: 9500kg Max.Weight: 13000kg
Speed: 363km/h Ceiling: 6250m Range: 1720km
Load: 18 seats

http://www.samoloty.ow.pl/str130.htm
According to the link ( unfortunately only in polish ),a military SM-75 was equipted with 1 Breda-SAFTA machine gun 7,7 or Scotti 12,7 mm in an added turret at the top of a fuselage. Armmament of hungarian SM-75 was 2 or 3 machine guns at a top of a fuselage, bottom or/and from the sides. Besides, the tail wheel was modificated.The rear part of fuselage, fin and rudder had other shape.Additionally, during exploitation the Alfa-Romeo 126 engines were exchanged for the better Piaggio PXI RC.40 ( 990hp).There is no info about its bombload. Propably SM-75 didn't carry bombs.

regards

Thanks for that...so the bomber version was the SM82. Did the SM75 itself have any defensive armament?

Thanks,

Neil

My father was flying this plane during the war with the transport groups and his only weapon was a Winchester rifle on his knees while crossing the Med
If you want to know more I'll be happy to post something
Alex

Alex, that goes without saying - post away!

Neil,
enclosed two pictures taken in Barce (Lybia) while transferring troops to the allied ( Italian-German) front against british troops. As you can see the first plane has still the civil colours while the second one has camo. This was extremely dangerous for pilots because flying military cargo with civil planes, if caught, the risk was to be shot on the field. But these were the big brass ideas during Mussolini's era.
Will follow if you like
Alex

Attachments

• 1940 Barce SM75 604-6.jpg
    1940 Barce SM75 604-6.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 250
  • 1940 Barce SM75 604-6b .jpg
    1940 Barce SM75 604-6b .jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 379
Did the SM 75 have any armament? I have also read that apart from it's primary role as a transport plane the SM 75 was also used as a bomber. What bomb load could it carry?

Thanks,

Neil

Hi!

I'm from Hungary. In the WWII the Hungarian Royal Air Force used 5 aircraft for parachuters. Modified from the MALERT /Hungarian Air Traffic co./ cruisers. Those was armed: one MG turret on the fuselage top, one MG bay in the tail, and one MG bin under the nose.
Never heard a bomber role before.

Attachments

• SM 75 - E.103 -2.jpg
    SM 75 - E.103 -2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 201
Hi!

I'm from Hungary. In the WWII the Hungarian Royal Air Force used 5 aircraft for parachuters. Modified from the MALERT /Hungarian Air Traffic co./ cruisers. Those was armed: one MG turret on the fuselage top, one MG bay in the tail, and one MG bin under the nose.
Never heard a bomber role before.

Nice aeronautical odd-ball! Thanks for sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back