SBD Dauntless....VS-2 Coral Sea

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

History Man

Airman
Jul 1, 2014
West Coast
I am in need of some assistance....I am working on a SBD Dauntless that belonged to William Ault, air group commander of VS-2 during Coral Sea. I have painted the aircraft in the light blue/light grey scheme associated with Coral Sea aircraft.

What I am in need of are the proper markings that would have gone on the aircraft along with any additional pieces that would be proper.

Any help would be appreciated...

Philip

From the Squadron/Signal in Action book...

Untitled.jpg

...I'll see if I can find a photo.

Geo

It appears that his aircraft had "CLAG" on the sides of the fuselage to denote Commander Lexington Air Group.

I am not finding much on the markings that would have accompanied the aircraft as he was the Carrier Air Group commander. In terms of number designations, tail markings, various fuselage emblems, etc.

Philip

Thank you for any help...I just cannot find any information on his aircraft (one would think there would be references out there since he was the CLAG?).

My display is in a couple weeks so I am hoping that a breakthrough can be made on the aircraft markings front.

Philip

Thank you so much Geo, this is very helpful for me and I sincerely appreciate it.

One question: his son accounts to talking with some of his fellow squadron mates, and they say that he had CLAG on the side of his aircraft as well. Where would this have gone?

Philip

Not sure of it, but I would guess he had it on the aircraft for the mission....I wonder where it would have gone, possible towards the front of the fuselage near the cowling?

Also, do you know where one could get a 1/48 decal sheet that would have the needed decals (neutral US national insignia,striped tail, variety of fuselage codes, etc)?

Philip

Techmod makes the insignia, sheet 48102 it's also available on eBay right now, shipped from the U.S. Techmod Decals 1 48 U S National Insignia 1919 TO 1942 | eBay
Yellow-Wings makes the appropriate fuselage codes, sheet 48026 also on eBay, shipped from the U.S. US Navy 1932 42 White 12" NOS SQDN Letters 2 1 48 Decals Yellow Wings 48026 | eBay

I hate sounding like an eBay add but hey, one stop shopping. You could paint the tail stripes and white slanted tail stripe.

Geo

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I will take a look a those...for some reason I have had a heck of a time getting onto Ebay (cannot seem to access the main site).

Would it be correct to say that the US national insignia is going to be the large on the wings with a small set on the fuselage? I just wanted to make sure, as I have seen varying sizes for varying aircraft.

I may look into painting the tail stripes and white stripe, thought white has never been a color that works with me while going over another color.

Also, found this set on MicroScale: http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2...MS48-1035&Category_Code=AC48&Product_Count=24

Philip

Last edited:
For your aircraft...Upper wing - 72 dia" From wing tip to center of star - 52"
Lower wing - 71 dia" From wing tip to center of star - 51"
Fuselage - 50 dia" From trailing edge of horizontal stabilizer - 119"

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back