Scuola Caccia Elmas (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Elmas

Staff Sergeant
Jan 17, 2011
Italy
Heavy landing for a G59 of the Scuola Caccia Elmas ( Elmas Fighter School, something like an British OTU). Elmas is the airport of the town of Cagliari, and S-E stands for Scuola Elmas.
Both G59s and Mustangs were used.

SE18End.jpg

Flyng in formation

g59coppia.jpg

Over the lagoon

G59TO.jpg

Twin seater G 59
G59volo.jpg

The Pilot, Ten. Alberto Scano, wich I know personally, after his service, had then a career in the local Electricity Company.
The photos were taken in early '60, as in 1962 the Scuola Caccia Elmas closed down to pass on jets. The hangar behind is still there and it is currently in use for the local AeroClub.

ElmasG59.jpg

Another photo in a T6

PilotaLecce.jpg

As in 1962 I was ten I was able to see every day the planes flyng over my head.....Half a century is passed, but I still rememember. What a sight!

Last edited:
Ten. Scano told me an amusing little story about his training.
One Colleague of his was having an instructional session in a Link-Trainer.
The Chief Instructor, from outside, set the instruments in a position that simulated a flat spin and started to shout trough the intercom:

"You are in a flat spin!You are in a flat spin!You are in a flat spin!Jump! Jump! Jump!"

The pilot inside opened the canopy and.....parachuted himself out of the linkTrainer....
The poor fella had to pay drinks for a whole month at the Officer's Mess......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back