Searching for information about my father

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

TripleH

Recruit
Dec 14, 2023
Hello, wondering if someone can help me. I'm trying to get some more information about my father's service in bomber command. His name was Frank James Ulrich Griffith and was a navigator in an Avro Lancaster. I have found these images - he is the guy with the moustache on the right and hiding behind the others. I wondered if the planes might give a clue as to his crew? I know one of them was Australian? He was also based in Italy for some of the war.
EasySlideScanning.co.uk Griffith0066.jpg

EasySlideScanning.co.uk Griffith0110.jpg

I assume he was in the RAF. If so, there is some guidance here on getting records:

"WS" Squadron code belongs to 9 Sqn; "EM" is 207 Sqn if it helps. If you know when he was on either, the squadron Operational Record Books and Appendices are available for download via The National Archives (UK) website.

"WS" Squadron code belongs to 9 Sqn; "EM" is 207 Sqn if it helps. If you know when he was on either, the squadron Operational Record Books and Appendices are available for download via The National Archives (UK) website.
thanks that's really helpful

Hey, thanks for your message, I am unsure of which he was in, I can only suggest that he was more likely to be in 9 Sqn as he and his crew look to be in flying gear?

It's quite possible he flew tours on both: it was not uncommon to move between squadrons. He'd obviously have done his primary flight trainiung and conversion training at other units prior to being assigned to operational Lancasters too.

It's quite possible he flew tours on both: it was not uncommon to move between squadrons. He'd obviously have done his primary flight trainiung and conversion training at other units prior to being assigned to operational Lancasters too.
Yes, found a photo of a Avro with the same EMG on the side, on the IWM website which gives a bit more info, any other ideas?

I'd suggest you request his records per GTX's link above and then download all the TNA (National Archives) record books. I'd also contact the RAF Museum: they have a fantastic cataloguing system and may be able to trace any mention of your father in their records. It's also possible they might hold his flying log books.

I'd suggest you request his records per GTX's link above and then download all the TNA (National Archives) record books. I'd also contact the RAF Museum: they have a fantastic cataloguing system and may be able to trace any mention of your father in their records. It's also possible they might hold his flying log books.
thanks I've requested his records but those are good suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back