BlueAngel34
Recruit
- 5
- Aug 26, 2026
Hello- I am researching a TBM Avenger crew KIA during WWII in Manila Bay on October 19, 1944. Specifically, I would like to identify the ship they sank, and the location of the sinking. What I do know is this:
Purpose of this post is to find the ship info, and if I find the ship location then I know the TBM location. The TBM was described in the weeks following the crash as visible from shore at low tide. By June 1946, US divers said the aircraft was broken up and scattered although some parts were recovered to help identify the airplane and the crew.
Can anyone recommend a resource to check in hopes there was a record of this ship being salvaged? Pilipino records may be an option, too, if anyone knows of specifics.
Thank you for your help.
- Ship described at the time as a large enemy tanker which broke in two and immediately sank after being struck by a 1,000 bomb. Further research indicates the ship may have been a cargo ship converted to a tanker. It would be at least 6,600 tons up to about 10,000 tons
- Sinking was only 200 yards or so off the shore of Orion on the western side of Manila Bay. Depth of the water there is estimated at 30 feet max.
- US Navy documents to not provide anything more than the general description provided above.
- JNAC does not list a ship, named or unnamed, as sunk in that area during the timeframe in question. Other discrepancies have been discovered as well.
Purpose of this post is to find the ship info, and if I find the ship location then I know the TBM location. The TBM was described in the weeks following the crash as visible from shore at low tide. By June 1946, US divers said the aircraft was broken up and scattered although some parts were recovered to help identify the airplane and the crew.
Can anyone recommend a resource to check in hopes there was a record of this ship being salvaged? Pilipino records may be an option, too, if anyone knows of specifics.
Thank you for your help.