Settle an argument for me, who developed the F4U's curved approach for carrier landings.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What Rich said. And I always-always read his posts because...
HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT.
Unlike so many Facebook and especially Quora authorities.

Back when I could still access my FB account, I lost track of the number of statements/queries about the Brits "teaching the Americans how to land Corsairs on carriers." It got to be a Pavlovian response from some of us including a high-time warbird (ex-F16) pilot. Other ad-nauseum topics included Pappy Boyington Leading Marine Ace, George Gay the Sole Survivor of VT-8, and of course The Whole Nine Yards.

Here's my warbird pal's frequent response. The aviator is/was the late-great Tom Blackburn, CO of VF-17 one of the first three Corsair squadrons.

Blackburn.jpg

What Rich said. And I always-always read his posts because...
HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT.
Unlike so many Facebook and especially Quora authorities.

Back when I could still access my FB account, I lost track of the number of statements/queries about the Brits "teaching the Americans how to land Corsairs on carriers." It got to be a Pavlovian response from some of us including a high-time warbird (ex-F16) pilot. Other ad-nauseum topics included Pappy Boyington Leading Marine Ace, George Gay the Sole Survivor of VT-8, and of course The Whole Nine Yards.

Here's my warbird pal's frequent response. The aviator is/was the late-great Tom Blackburn, CO of VF-17 one of the first three Corsair squadrons.

View attachment 705836
I think the guys from the US Navy and FAA will have had respect for one another, since they all landed planes on carriers. This sort of nonsense always comes from people who werent there.

I think the guys from the US Navy and FAA will have had respect for one another, since they all landed planes on carriers. This sort of nonsense always comes from people who werent there.
Both the FAA and USN pilots would have being thinking the same thing simply because as you said they were the ones landing the thing, like I posted earlier they are aviators, they would have all been on the same page regarding the best solution to the problem.

Both the FAA and USN pilots would have being thinking the same thing simply because as you said they were the ones landing the thing, like I posted earlier they are aviators, they would have all been on the same page regarding the best solution to the problem.

Indeed, FAA aircrew and ground crew had been trained by the USN since 1940.
So many, they even had a Pay Office embedded in Washington.

The origin of the whole nine yards is probably never going to be settled although there are mid 1800's references which equate to
other phrases such as the whole ball of wax and the whole enchilada. One reference was the silly woman story where a man told
his wife to buy enough material to make three shirts and she used 'the whole nine yards and made just one'.

Just to muddy it further, in Kentucky and South Carolina a similar expression to the whole ball of wax used to be 'the whole six yards'.
Inflation ?

The "whole nine yards" phrase I've read, referred to the ammo box of belted .50 cal ammo. The belt, if laid out, is allegedly nine yards long. If in an emergency, "Give 'em the whole nine yards."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back