Seversky P-35 references?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bozothenutter

Airman
Feb 10, 2021
Hi,
I have searched the site, and the net.
I have found some stuff I can use, but it's very hard to find small details on this 'plane.
As I understand there are no P-35's left, only P-35A/J-9's with obvious differences to the original.
I have been looking over Kermit Weeks restoration, and it's given me lots of insight.
My question is are the wings on these identical?
I'm working on the Dora Wings kit and there are way too many panel lines, and no rivets!
From the Weeks resto, the outer wing seems to be made up of three main skins, whereas the kit has about 8-9 seperate panels....

The P-35 is truly a beautiful plane & I hope to scratch build a model someday. I have a set of Cleveland plans for a 48" wingspan model, but no details of panel lines or rivets that you need.

I visited Planes of Fame about 35+ years ago & took lots of detailed b+w photos (the Internet & digital cameras did not exist back then), but only while it was sitting on the ground on display. So the details of the wing panels were not seen.

Cheers,

Hi,
I have searched the site, and the net.
I have found some stuff I can use, but it's very hard to find small details on this 'plane.
As I understand there are no P-35's left, only P-35A/J-9's with obvious differences to the original.
I have been looking over Kermit Weeks restoration, and it's given me lots of insight.
My question is are the wings on these identical?
I'm working on the Dora Wings kit and there are way too many panel lines, and no rivets!
From the Weeks resto, the outer wing seems to be made up of three main skins, whereas the kit has about 8-9 seperate panels....
Well, Kermit's P-35 is also one of the Swedish J9's.

The air force museum also has one. On a day where the museum was nearly empty, I walked up to it and opened the side door and had a look around the area behind the cockpit.
During WW2, the Swedes would use that to carry important, people, but some were nervous, and so to test how easy it would be to bail in an emergency, a Swedish Air Force technician jumped out of the plane while it was in flight and used a parachute. (He was promptly discharged)

Last edited:
There is a P-35 "MINI in action", MINI number 1, by squadron/signal which may show up on used book sites. It is 50 pages, mostly photos and line drawings, with brief mention & photos of AT-12, the racers , XP-41 & P-43.

There is a P-35 "MINI in action", MINI number 1, by squadron/signal which may show up on used book sites. It is 50 pages, mostly photos and line drawings, with brief mention & photos of AT-12, the racers , XP-41 & P-43.

As was mentioned in posts #2 & #2 of this thread.

#2:
There is a mini-in action on the P-35 (Squadron Signal)

#3:
Which has plan drawings of the P-35 and the P-35A - the only difference on those drawings are directly related to the .30 cal wing guns of the P-35 vs the .50 cal wing guns of the P-35A.

The air force museum also has one. On a day where the museum was nearly empty, I walked up to it and opened the side door and had a look around the area behind the cockpit.
Capt. V:

While "peeking" into the interior of the P-35, did you by any chance take photos (praying you did)?

No problem. The P-35 is on my bucket list of potential models to build. I already have the Cleveland scale model plans for ( I believe ) a 48" wingspan.

Thank you for your reply.

Cheers,

Skye

Users who are viewing this thread

Back