Shimoda crash site Thailand 1943

islandee

Airman
74
48
Joined
Mar 22, 2014
Location
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Website
www.ww2norththailand.com
I'm writing up General Shimoda's crash while he was inspecting the Thai-Burma Railway on 26 Jan 1943. I would appreciate translations of the circled Japanese words in the two attached images; and also any thoughts on identification of the twin-engined aircraft which was reportedly carrying 11 people.

Map: FYI: The coordinates for the word circled at upper right are approximately N15°08.56 E98°27.06 and I believe is in the Tsongalia river mouth area which may now be submerged by a reservoir.
Shimoda plane.jpg


Sketch:
Shimoda plane.jpg

I thank you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Next questions:

Is the rising sun insignia seen on the aircraft's wing limited to military use?

Does / can the cherry blossom insignia on the tail have special significance?
 
To answer your questions ...

1. the Hinomaru markings has been used for all Japanese aircraft.

2. the markings on the tail (fin and rudder) were the unit markings usually. IIRC the cherry blossom insignia was a marking of a transprtation unit. Unfortunately I can't remind myself of which one and where I saw a such one.
 
A transportation unit would fit: one guess for the ID of the aircraft has been a Ki-57.

Thank you.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back