Short Burst........4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
During mission briefings the target of the day was named along with a secondary or two should weather conditions prevent bombing the primary. As last resort they named one or two "targets of opportunity" the crew could choose. When returning from a mission I was looking down at a beautiful little German cross road community. A church with steeple was striking on this beautiful sunny day. All of a sudden there was an explosion and the church area was demolished. I took a look and saw a squadron of B-17s over the little town. They had picked this as their "Target of Opportunity" There was nothing there of military worth. I can still see that church steeple coming up in the air.This really upset me So I reported the incident after landing.

In my area there were many high value targets, steel making ship building and chemical industries. Quite a few raids were mounted and some damage done but nothing that could be called successful. However one stray stick of bombs managed to completely destroy the only remaining building named in the Domesday book, an ancient watermill in the middle of no where.

Hopefully they had a valid reason for doing that...........hopefully :(

I hope you are right but I doubt it. I question the population could be more than 200 or 300 people. The little town was in a rural setting.

I hope you are right but I doubt it. I question the population could be more than 200 or 300 people. The little town was in a rural setting.

It was a war Bill. I lived in Germany for many years, many times I stayed in a guest house that had its roof blown off in a raid on the nearby steel works. The owner was a young boy and in it at the time, his life and place of worship were no less important to him because they weren't pretty or picturesque. By the latter stages of the war both UK and Germany were in a similar state, many vital parts of the war effort were in picturesque villages, Bletchley park was and still is a beautiful building in beautiful grounds.

It was a war Bill. I lived in Germany for many years, many times I stayed in a guest house that had its roof blown off in a raid on the nearby steel works. The owner was a young boy and in it at the time, his life and place of worship were no less important to him because they weren't pretty or picturesque. By the latter stages of the war both UK and Germany were in a similar state, many vital parts of the war effort were in picturesque villages, Bletchley park was and still is a beautiful building in beautiful grounds.

Sadly that is true. The civilian populations paid a terrible price. On each drop I made a prayer went with it to protect the civilians in the target zone knowing full well a number would be killed. It was tough.

Not saying that this was the case but the steeple may have been the high point of the land, therefore an advantageous look-out for the enemy so depending where the friendlies were, a suitable target

Not saying that this was the case but the steeple may have been the high point of the land, therefore an advantageous look-out for the enemy so depending where the friendlies were, a suitable target
Could have been. However, the little town was pretty far removed from any visible fighting on the ground. There is also the possibility of a German troop movement moving through which I didn't see as I was focused on the explosion only.

I hope this will be understood as it is intended. I am aware of memorial sites to USAAF, to Bomber Command, to the civilian dead in this, that or many locations. Also of anti-bombing and Peace Pledge sites. I always think it is a shame there isn't one to both, to all. The air-crews and the people on the ground shouldn't be divided, you see. They share a similar fate. If you were in it,you know all about it. If you weren't there's no way you ever could. There's a unity there. I hope that mjkes sense.

I hope this will be understood as it is intended. I am aware of memorial sites to USAAF, to Bomber Command, to the civilian dead in this, that or many locations. Also of anti-bombing and Peace Pledge sites. I always think it is a shame there isn't one to both, to all. The air-crews and the people on the ground shouldn't be divided, you see. They share a similar fate. If you were in it,you know all about it. If you weren't there's no way you ever could. There's a unity there. I hope that mjkes sense.
Nice thought!

Thank you for your stories Bill, The steeple would have been a good vantage point for either snipers or artillery if and when troops did approach. The possible use of it by the German military made it a legitimate target.

Too often, large conspicuous buildings such as churches are used as aim points simply because they are visible. Sadly, they are often irreplaceable pieces of architecture, and often contain priceless records and art, which loss impoverishes all of us.

Thank you for your stories Bill, The steeple would have been a good vantage point for either snipers or artillery if and when troops did approach. The possible use of it by the German military made it a legitimate target.
I guess anything is possible. The little town was 40 to 50 miles from the front battle line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back