Short Sunderland RCAF 422 squadron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff here guys.

Got caught up with other stuff this week, so no pics yet sorry - charging the camera batteries now to do it tomorrow.

Re the codes:
Airfix markings are for 2-G in Dull Red, serial DD867 in Black (squadron not mentioned).
Italeri's Mk.III includes (among 5 other options) markings for 2-H in a very pale Sky Type S, serial DV960 in same. (No.461 Sqn. RAF, Mount Batten, Great Britain, July 1942).

BTW, got a set of 1:72 scaffolding for the port outer engine going spare if anyone needs it. I just need the port inner parts.

Finally, the comparative pics... the bagged parts are the Italeri Sunderland Mk.III, the rest the Airfix Mk.III. (I didn't want to open the bags yet as it's already depressing how many opened kits I have awaiting progress...)

The PE parts are all Eduard, designed for the Italeri kits. White Ensign Models covered the Airfix Sunderland already.

STA56569.JPG
STA56570.JPG
STA56571.JPG
STA56572.JPG

Yep Geo! They were on special, so got 1 set of each to serve as pattern masters for the 3 builds (Oh boy...)

BTW, build subjects are an RNZAF Mk.III transporter (with the square windows) and post-war MR.5, and a Mk.III of 490 (NZ) Sqn, RAF.

Good stuff Evan.
Interesting that the almost 60 year old Airfix kit appears to have more convincing exterior surface detail on the fuselage, even if it is raised.
Last time I saw the Airfix version was back in the early to mid 1960's, when I built one, and I seem to remember the overall appearance was good, but let down by the very basic gun turrets.

Cheers guys!

Would agree Terry re the Airfix surface detail. The Italeri kit kicks a$$ in the other details though (and so it should being about 55 years younger!). Makes you wonder why they still suffer with their panel lines (- maybe due to the 'softer'plastics used?)

Did you have any problems with construction btw?

It's a long time ago, but i don't remember any particular problems, apart from maybe the depth charge racks being a bit fiddly, as they're designed to slide out.
The current Italeri panel lines remind me of Matchbox kits, and I'd guess it's the mould tool, not the plastic.

I really need some help here guys. I was talking to my dad and he started to talk about his long time friend Lawson(Bud) Allison who flew with this unit. He is still with us at 96. I would like to build him the Airfix 72 scale replica of the plane he was part of. My dad is getting a little forgetful and could not remember his position in the flight crew. I just wish there was a better option, but this 1959 mold will have to suffice, as there is no other option. Any info or pics would be so appreciated.
Hi, I just happened across this forum while searching for an image of a water colour painting that I did some time ago of a Short Sunderland. It just happens to be the exact image of the photo that the other member on the forum sent you of 422 Sqn 2 U. If you know of any family members of the crew that would be interested in the painting they are more than welcome to it, I can send an image of it if interested. I reside in Co. Fermanagh so i am well acquainted with the history of Castle Archdale and area during WW2. My father served for the duration of the war in North Africa and Europe as part of an armoured regiment, I am also an ex serviceman.
I thought rather than gathering dust in my attic it might be appreciated elsewhere.
Regards Neville.

I got it into my mind to make a model of the plane my grandfather piloted: Squadron 422's 2-U.

I wanted to get details right and you've all been more helpful than I could have possibly hoped. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back