Shvetsov ASh-82T TBO

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

YakMan

Airman
Jul 14, 2011
Northamptonshire
Does anybody have any original material that describes the TBO of the ASh-82T engine as used in Ilyushin Il-14 airliners and many others?
I am rebuilding one and need to know for the log book. The best I've found on the internet is a scanned page from a 1963 edition of Flight International which lists current aircraft and their engines and gives the ASh-82T TBO as 800 hours (attached). Interesting but not what the CAA would call proof! Oddly, the TBO of Russian engines is never given in the overhaul or technical description manuals.
Cheers, Yakman

Attachments

• 1963 - 2086.PDF
    170 KB · Views: 267
My copy of the Ash82T OMM doesn't have a TBO for the engine listed, however, CAANZ have accepted a TBO of 600 hours, likely based on the anecdotal 800 hours, less an allowance. I'm not even sure that they had a defined TBO as such, or if the engines were simply 'on condition' and expected to get X hours.

Not sure if this helps, I know what CAAUK can be like to deal with...
At least you have manuals - you wouldn't know where to get a copy of the M-11FR manual by any chance would you?

I have no idea about documentation stating the TBO, but on a totally different topic...

There was a ex-RAAF fighter being restored many years ago in Australia and CASA insisted on a document. The aeroplane could not fly without it. Someone who shall remain nameless was not able to locate the document, so he had one typed up, spilt coffee on it, photocopied it repeatedly (remember the old days when photocopies made poor copies), tore a few corners off etc. He then submitted it to CASA and they were happy.

My copy of the Ash82T OMM doesn't have a TBO for the engine listed, however, CAANZ have accepted a TBO of 600 hours, likely based on the anecdotal 800 hours, less an allowance. I'm not even sure that they had a defined TBO as such, or if the engines were simply 'on condition' and expected to get X hours.

Not sure if this helps, I know what CAAUK can be like to deal with...
At least you have manuals - you wouldn't know where to get a copy of the M-11FR manual by any chance would you?

M11 Sounds familiar - I never say no to any manuals I'm offered or find so I'll have a look in my Tech Library tomorrow (29-3-19).

Since my original post I have got some more information from my friends in Moscow, it seems the TBO of these engines were very application-dependant and military/commercial uses could be allocated very different TBOs so I don't think I'm going to find a definitive single figure after all. My search carries on however! I might be able to get a figure against the two ASh-82T serials I have.
Cheers - Yakman

M11 Sounds familiar - I never say no to any manuals I'm offered or find so I'll have a look in my Tech Library tomorrow (29-3-19).
Hi, I have a 1941 M-11 Overhaul manual, not FR model just plain M-11, I got it off the internet, no idea where from, but anyway if it is of use to you we need to arrange a download. It is in deja vu format so you need the djv veiwer. Interested?

Hi, I have a 1941 M-11 Overhaul manual, not FR model just plain M-11, I got it off the internet, no idea where from, but anyway if it is of use to you we need to arrange a download. It is in deja vu format so you need the djv veiwer. Interested?
That would be great, thanks. If you can't post it here we should be able to sort something out.

Does anybody have any original material that describes the TBO of the ASh-82T engine as used in Ilyushin Il-14 airliners and many others?
I am rebuilding one and need to know for the log book. The best I've found on the internet is a scanned page from a 1963 edition of Flight International which lists current aircraft and their engines and gives the ASh-82T TBO as 800 hours (attached). Interesting but not what the CAA would call proof! Oddly, the TBO of Russian engines is never given in the overhaul or technical description manuals.
Cheers, Yakman

Well, not sure that it what you need. This from ASh-82T manual. Maintenance after installing engine on plane and after each 50 and 100 hours.

1554292014564.png

Well, tried to upload but it says "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension" (.djvu), it is 11MB in size.

How about renaming the file as .pdf, with the note for the people to replace .pdf with .djvu after download?
Otherwise, how about using a hosting site - I use mediafire.com, dropbox is also widely used.

Well, not sure that it what you need. This from ASh-82T manual. Maintenance after installing engine on plane and after each 50 and 100 hours.

View attachment 534138
Thanks, not quite what I need. This is maintenance rather than overhaul. I would expect an ASh-82T to have a very long TBO of 800hours+. They were big engines but very unstressed at only about 45hp per litre so had long lives. You can imagine that airlines do not like the downtime of engine changes so want long TBOs!

Here is the M-11 manual kindly converted to pdf by a fellow forum contributor! All the usual caveats apply, this is for interest only, anyone using it to overhaul or repair an engine does so entirely at their own risk and if it is used, it is up to them and the signing engineer to ensure the manual applies to their engine. I can take no responsibility for the accuracy of any data contained in the manual. I know from experience that these manuals do sometimes contain errors!

Attachments

• M-11 OH Manual.pdf
    82.4 MB · Views: 453

Users who are viewing this thread

Back