Siegfried Freytag

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mmm....that's certainly quite logical there are other early G's that most definitely are in the 79/80 camo, wish the shot of white 2 was of better quality......not that I doubt the words of Mr. Prien!:D

FalkeEins, I just visited your blog, what a great job! Beau boulot (as they say in Air France!)
i thought I'd give you pics of some models, but seeing yours I understand i'd better work a little more before!:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, not that much pics of Freytag and his aircraft. I know another pic, in "fighters over tunisia" of Christopher Shores, but I don't remember if the aircraft is visible.
I'd agree with Wane about the spiral.

Some people told me that stories like, the first victory of Freytag in Norway, the Athens escape or the bail out in Valletta harbor were first hand accounts by mr Freytag in person...Why not, even if nothing can really confirm those stories...It seems also that his soldbuch is still somewhere, but I don't now where...Could have been valuable in some points...

i didn't thought about that type of camo for JG77 in Sicily in 42! I learned everyday!:shock:

Hello Neil and thanks for the information from Dr. Prien's book. I have no problem redoing the profile. I'll have to start from scratch so it may take me a few days. Actually, I was hoping to do an aircraft based in Malta with the 78/79/80 cammo on it. I had markings decals for Maltzhan's aircraft and one of his 109Fs was depicted in a tropical scheme, but the instructions actually suggested that they used the local Italian Light Sand and Green instead of German supplied RLM colors. This seems interesting but there was no information if the aircraft depicted was still in Malta or if it had just transferred to North Africa, since JG53 did that around the of the markings that are depicted. No exact date was supplied with the markings, just mid 1942, but since Freytag's White 2 was in desert scheme, I don't have to worry about that version of Maltzhan's 109F.

I'll get to work on the new scheme right away. Just a couple of questions. Would Freytag's White 2 have had the yellow under the nose that is depicted on the cover of Dr. Prien's book, or would it have been left the underside color like Heinz Bar's was? Also, would the spinner have had a white segment in it like the aircraft on the cover? Thanks.

Again, thanks for the imput everyone. Back to the drawing board!

Greetings everyone!

I have finally finished the profile of Freytag's White 2 with the information provided by Neil from Dr. Prien's JG77 book. I actually did two profiles to cover a couple of variations in the cammo applied to JG77's 109G-2's that I have seen photos or profiles of.

Here is the first one which is influenced by the cover photo of Dr. Prien's book provided by Neil earlier in this thread.
Freytag109GWhite2Update3.png

This is a second one that shows another variation of the scheme worn by tropical 109G-2s of the same period. I left out the yellow under the cowling since it seems that that was not carried by all of the aircraft in the unit, but this coud easily be added into the profile if it is more accurate.
Freytag109GWhite2Update4.png

I personally prefer the second one with the partial extension of the upper colors on the fuselage. The only reason I have for this is personal prefrence, not accuracy. If the full coverage of the color like in the upper profile is more accurate that is what I will go with.

I also need more information on what the upper cammo on the wings would have looked like. I have seen both random "sploches" of green over the tan just like on the fuselage and I have also seen a pattern that was meant to mirror the regualr pattern used on the upper wings of grey colored 109s. The base tan is covered by a green in a "splinter" pattern very similar to standard factory cammo. If anyone has any more information on this please let me know and I will include an upper profile with the pattern as well.

Again, thanks for all of the help.

Glenn

Nice work Glenn!

hard to know exactly which is more accurate...in the Jagdwaffe series there are a few very different desert Green/Brown camo styles attributed to JG 77 aircraft...and the wings....well thats another series of guess work entirely!:D

Great work Glenn!
Great to see S Freytag's aircraft "for real" at last, since I never saw any pic of them!
I too prefer the second one, even though it's only a question of taste, I guess, until we find more accurate information!
I read the yellow undernose was an identification mark for german flak, I don't know if the scheme was abandoned in one move or gradually depending on units...

great job for sure, thanks!

I found some confirmations about Freytag's tally:
1st official victory: third week of July 1941, a Mig 3, same for his second one. At the end of July, had 5 victories, with three I16 to add. Ace in two weeks, after two years in the Luftwaffe!
20 victories in October, 26 victories in November. 35 in april 1942, 40 in May, and 50 in June.
57 victories when he arrived in Sicily, in the beginning of July 1942.
Had a G2 in Sicily, and in africa after that, beginning in the end of october 1942. Still had a G2 when he landed wheels up in Tunisia in april 1943.
he could have flown a Macchi as a test when JG 77 tried them in 44 in Italy...
Could have flown a Me 262 in april 1945 with JG7, but I have no confirmation (pic, document...)
best regards

It has been years since I have worked on this project as life tends to intervene in many ways. However I was revisiting it today and discovered that a set of decals has been printed by Peddinghaus Decals and they are using one of my profiles as a base for the decals.

s-l500.jpg

The photo is from Dragon Hobby on Ebay. They are located here in Virginia.

The only disappointing thing is that the only scale they are doing these in is 1/72. My Malta project is in 1/48. I went to the Peddinghaus website and emailed asking them if they are going to do these decals in 1/48. I also emailed Dragon Hobby since Peddinghaus is located in Germany and I have had problems getting responses from European manufacturers and hobby shops, probably do to the language barrier. Heck, I might just do one in 1/32 if they can do the decals in that scale just because I can.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back