Significant Flood-Event Could Breach Prado Dam: 29 SOCAL Cities at Risk

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Zipper730

Chief Master Sergeant
Nov 9, 2015
I can't post news events, so I ask the moderators to place this on the news section if they find it important enough.

Significant Flood Event Could Breach Prado Dam: 29 SOCAL Cities at Risk

The Prado Dam in Corona is vulnerable to a "significant flood event" that could breach the nearly 80-year-old dam and threaten dozens of cities downstream, federal engineers reported Wednesday.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers reported this week that it has upgraded Prado Dam's characterization from moderate urgency to high urgency as a result of a recent review. . . .
However, the latest examination determined that a significant flooding could indeed breach the spillway, which would put the approximately 1.4 million people who live in 29 cities downstream of the dam in possible danger, along with $61 billion worth of property.
For those who live in California, this would be something I figure you should keep abreast of, if you aren't already.

Another question, and this might make me sound really stupid: If this was to occur, would internet access be affected? It sounds silly, but think of how many ISP's are based out of the state of California...

I saw that on the news. I live in Garden Grove which I think would be affected as they said Disney Land would be and that's just about a mile away. Just bought earthquake insurance. I guess now I need flood insurance also.:facepalm:

Prado dam is between Orange County and Riverside and controls the Santa Ana river.
The dam itself is old, yes, but it would take a storm that SoCal hasn't seen in generations to breach it...as the Prado Basin is rarely ever full (or anywhere near a semblance of designed capacity).
In regards to ISPs, they are mostly based out of Silicon Valley (Bay Area) and have no bearing on the real Southern California.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back