Sikorsky H-34?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Was there another helicopter that was, by the looks of it, just as much of a hassle to get into for the pilot as the H-34 by Sikorsky?

IMG_20240530_145009.jpg

Probably many of those early bigger non-turbine helos with large cargo space in lower deck and engine+cockpit above that

Jan - Never seemed to cause the little ARVN guy any problems whatsoever.
Since we were never in Laos or Cambodia Team insertion was via these surplus H-34s flown by ARVN crews. That big rotary front engine was like armor plate and that chopper could take a LOT of punishment.
Inside looked like swiss cheese since the ARVN mechs just cut holes wherever they wanted to reach a particular part. Hydraulic system leaked like a sieve. The deck was awash in that pink hydraulic oil and there was always 2-3 cases on board. The pilots just kept filling the reservoir whenever we landed.
VNAFKingbee.jpg
VNAFKingbeeH-34.jpg

Just because...here is my H34 panel. Trying to get back to a somewhat original condition. Still missing several placards, switch and one instrument. A few instruments are look a likes and not proper part number. Will replace as I find. A real beast, just like the aircraft! Just thought I would share...

Attachments

• H34Panel.jpg
    H34Panel.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back