Sleeve-rotary valves: Is this an original idea I have had?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

70
19
Nov 26, 2025
If I could choose one innovation or improvement that resulted from the great engineering competition that was the second world war, it would almost definitely be the sleeve valve.
My profile picture is probably evidence of this.

Since reading "The Secret Horsepower Race", I was intrigued to find that the Germans (if not also others) were experimenting with disk-valved engines.
While not enough development was presented as the limiting factor on their nonexistent presence in the war, hindsight and modern analysis suggests that they have several crippling deficiencies that would likely have prevented their adoption anyway. Listed in said book were the following issues:
-The direct pressure of combustion on the valve caused failures of the valve drive system, as well as power loss
-Sealing against combustion gas was poor
-Combustion chamber shape was compromised
-Poor characteristics when heated
-Suffered attack from high-lead fuels
(This list is perhaps not exhaustive)

Evidently not every road leads to success.
But what if there were a valve system that combined the best attributes of disk and sleeve valves?
What if some peripheral nuisances of engine and valvetrain design could be eliminated at the same time?
What if the solution could make no greater technological or material demands than contemporary approaches?

(All this is to say, what if I had been born in the vicinity of 1905)

The following is not the agreement of a committee but my own personal appraisal, so be prepared for a good deal of generalizing and hand-waving.
I aim to have avoided making any claims that are anything but definitive, but even 75 years after the fact there is a frustrating lack of consensus online, as I will later mention.
Comments and questions are much appreciated.

Benefits over poppet valves presented both by disk and sleeve types:
-Lower profile
-No "additional" load created by springs
-No danger of harmonic frequency issues
-Fewer components
-Actuation process does not involve impacts
-Airflow into the cylinder is not complicated by structural material
-No division of induction and exhaust each into multiple ports
-Something resembling a "perfect crossflow" airflow pattern can be produced

Benefits over poppet valves presented by disk valves alone:
-No reciprocating element of the motion (not a limiting factor on RPM, lower load)
-Extremely simple drive mechanism
-More uniform heat distribution within the valvetrain

Benefits over poppet valves presented by sleeve valves alone:
-Allows for superior placement of spark plugs, injectors, etc.
-Cylinder head is more readily exposed for cooling
-More uniform heat distribution within the cylinder
-No need for separate cooling of valve

Of these points, it is the entirely rotational nature of the disk valves that I most appreciate.
In fact, even before reading "The Secret Horsepower Race" I had spent much time thinking about how I could make sleeve valves better adhere to my personal design preference of as little complex motion as possible. (Those who have read my previous posts may see this replicated in my distaste for master-and-slave rods.)

With that in mind, I have many times imagined an improved sleeve-valve system that somewhat tamed their typical "wild" motion.
I discovered various sleeve-valve designs on an engine forum, and was satisfied to see that not only did the sleeves move like an annular piston, but they were supported on both sides.
Sleeve3.gif

Unfortunately, the former characteristic was only easily possible because the example, in this case from Autosport Forums, is a two-stroke engine. Back to the proverbial drawing board.

I then had an idea that seems so simple someone must have thought of it before. Why not have the sleeve rotate around the cylinder at a constant speed, abandoning vertical movement entirely?
The sleeves could be geared together along each bank, much like the drive mechanism of this 1911 Reynolds rotary 4-valve, as depicted below by the Museum of American Speed.
rfdqwu_orig.jpg

Alternatively, if counter-rotating adjacent sleeves are not permissible, from helical/worm gears on a long shaft, as in the sleeve valve arrangement of the Napier Sabre.

Of the benefits mentioned previously, this scheme would provide all of them.
In fact, I believe there would be notable improvements in the following areas even over the non-poppet valves:

1: Breathing would be outrageously good.
A serious limiting factor on engine speed is that the valves can only open so fast to begin air or charge ingestion. Because the rate at which new port area is exposed at a given speed depends directly on the length of the port perpendicular to the direction of exposure, the sleeve-rotary valve would have an advantage over any other type of valve in this respect. (In a cylinder with a stroke of six inches, it would be able to expose a six-inch height of port all at once - and that is only per intake/exhaust channel!)

2: With some careful design, any present fuel injectors/spark plugs could be "shielded" from combustion by the rotating sleeve.
It is doubtful whether spark plugs could be made to operate properly while intermittently exposed to the oil film of the sleeve. As a result, it would probably be better to use a "double-fuel" system to provoke combustion. In any case, I am sure performance would benefit from having no irregularities in the surface of the combustion chamber at the time of the combustion.

3: With some additional modification, the joint between the cylinder and the head would no longer need to be sufficiently sealed to contain combustion.
If the sleeve were to be made all-encompassing (spanning the roof of the chamber as well as the sides), there would no longer be any way for combustion pressure to assault the head gasket. Obviously the force of combustion would still push upwards on the head the same amount, but the mounting specifications would only mandate that the total clamping force would be high enough, rather than needing every individual point on the circumference of a cylinder to be impenetrable against combustion pressure. I imagine this might allow for the elimination of the head gasket entirely. The seal would still have to contain oil pressure (and water pressure, in the case of water-cooled engines) but this takes substantially less rigorous design and manufacture.

4: Wear characteristics would potentially be better?
Additional research and discussion will be necessary to establish this, as I will later mention.

I think these features lend the sleeve-rotary valve strongly towards diesel use.

Naturally, once I had had this idea I went online to see if I was late to the party. It seems that many incarnations of rotary valves exist, but none that are positioned annularly. I find this hard to believe, as my proposed annular mounting would make the cylinder seal a virtuous cycle as opposed to the vicious cycle that most rotary valves have. Below are some depictions of rotary valves of various makes and eras. Links are available in the typical glossary.
Coates:
Coates.PNG

RCV:
RCV.PNG
RCV2.PNG

Bishop:
Bishop.PNG


The list goes on....
I would provide pictures of German analogues from "The Secret Horsepower Race" but unfortunately my phone is currently down for the count. Perhaps someone can in my stead, or I may be able to do so in the coming few days.

The sleeve-rotary valve would have a few downsides, some shared with the other non-poppet valves but some more unique.

1: Intake and exhaust manifolds compete for space with cooling fins/channels.
While this also affects all other valve designs, sleeve-rotary engines might suffer more on this front because of the large port area intruding downwards along the sides of the cylinder. Hopefully this is a minimal downside, as the roof of the chamber (where the combustion most heats) would by contrast be entirely devoid of cooling obstructions, and if that is still not enough a balance must simply be struck between breathing and cooling. Additionally, the deep-set exhaust channels could pose a heat dissipation problem.

2: Intake and exhaust timing are somewhat linked.
Like most disk/spherical/rotary valves, the relative timing of the intake and exhaust cycles would be only minimally adjustable. This would be done by changing the location of the intake and exhaust channels on the cylinder, and their sizes.

3: More perimeter on the ports means more potential for oil intrusion into the combustion chamber, like sleeve and disk valves.
Hopefully this would be more of a maintenance nuisance than a performance inhibitor. If anyone can provide figures for the oil consumption of sleeve valves compared to their poppet counterparts that would be lovely. Again, wear and lubrication will be touched on later.

(This is later)

In my vast reading on sleeve valves, I came across people and sources that claim that rotating wear is better, that reciprocating wear is better, and that "hybrid" wear is better. This has done nothing but confuse me. My instinct would be that purely rotating wear is best, as there is no "ending" point of the motion and thus no distinct ridge of abrasion forms.

Engines using poppet and disk valves (meaning they have bare cylinder walls) experience piston wear of the reciprocating type.
Sleeve valve engines (besides mechanisms using only additional crank throws to control the sleeve motion) experience "hybrid" piston wear, as well as "hybrid" wear between the sleeve and the cylinder walls.
Sleeve-rotary valve engines would experience pure rotary wear between the sleeve and the cylinder wall, but "hybrid" wear between the piston and the sleeve.

I vaguely remembered reading about a rotating liner engine (aimed to improve wear characteristics), yet equipped with regular poppet valves. Having done some digging, I found the project again.
While I am skeptical as to the validity of their claims, I am not so pessimistic as to dismiss it on face value. Can those of you who are more experienced with this sort of thing comment on the difference in wear between rotating, reciprocating, and "hybrid" motion? The website link will be in the glossary.
RLE.PNG

If nothing else, this image provides another clear view of how the liners could be driven, whether from inside the crankcase or atop the head.

My congratulations for making it to the end of this post.
Again, thank you all for any insights and technical information provided.
If anyone can find evidence of this being attempted before, that would be appreciated as well.
In lieu of that, does anyone know a good patent lawyer?

-A.H.H

P.S. Some of these PDF documents and webpages are quite a good read!

Links in order of appearance:
C. E. Douglas, The secret horsepower race : Western Front fighter engine development. Horncastle: Tempest Books, 2021. (Various claims about disk-valve developments)
Sleeve Valves vs. Opposed Pistons - The Technical Forum (GIF 1)
1911 Reynolds Rotary Valve 4-Cyl. Engine (Image 1)
CSRV vs. Poppet Valve (Image 2)
Wayback Machine (Images 3 and 4)
https://www.v-eight.com/multimedia/pdf/AutoTechBRV.pdf (Image 5)
Solution – RLE (Image 6)
 
If I could choose one innovation or improvement that resulted from the great engineering competition that was the second world war, it would almost definitely be the sleeve valve.
My profile picture is probably evidence of this.

Since reading "The Secret Horsepower Race", I was intrigued to find that the Germans (if not also others) were experimenting with disk-valved engines.
While not enough development was presented as the limiting factor on their nonexistent presence in the war, hindsight and modern analysis suggests that they have several crippling deficiencies that would likely have prevented their adoption anyway. Listed in said book were the following issues:
-The direct pressure of combustion on the valve caused failures of the valve drive system, as well as power loss
-Sealing against combustion gas was poor
-Combustion chamber shape was compromised
-Poor characteristics when heated
-Suffered attack from high-lead fuels
(This list is perhaps not exhaustive)

Evidently not every road leads to success.
But what if there were a valve system that combined the best attributes of disk and sleeve valves?
What if some peripheral nuisances of engine and valvetrain design could be eliminated at the same time?
What if the solution could make no greater technological or material demands than contemporary approaches?

(All this is to say, what if I had been born in the vicinity of 1905)

The following is not the agreement of a committee but my own personal appraisal, so be prepared for a good deal of generalizing and hand-waving.
I aim to have avoided making any claims that are anything but definitive, but even 75 years after the fact there is a frustrating lack of consensus online, as I will later mention.
Comments and questions are much appreciated.

Benefits over poppet valves presented both by disk and sleeve types:
-Lower profile
-No "additional" load created by springs
-No danger of harmonic frequency issues
-Fewer components
-Actuation process does not involve impacts
-Airflow into the cylinder is not complicated by structural material
-No division of induction and exhaust each into multiple ports
-Something resembling a "perfect crossflow" airflow pattern can be produced

Benefits over poppet valves presented by disk valves alone:
-No reciprocating element of the motion (not a limiting factor on RPM, lower load)
-Extremely simple drive mechanism
-More uniform heat distribution within the valvetrain

Benefits over poppet valves presented by sleeve valves alone:
-Allows for superior placement of spark plugs, injectors, etc.
-Cylinder head is more readily exposed for cooling
-More uniform heat distribution within the cylinder
-No need for separate cooling of valve

Of these points, it is the entirely rotational nature of the disk valves that I most appreciate.
In fact, even before reading "The Secret Horsepower Race" I had spent much time thinking about how I could make sleeve valves better adhere to my personal design preference of as little complex motion as possible. (Those who have read my previous posts may see this replicated in my distaste for master-and-slave rods.)

With that in mind, I have many times imagined an improved sleeve-valve system that somewhat tamed their typical "wild" motion.
I discovered various sleeve-valve designs on an engine forum, and was satisfied to see that not only did the sleeves move like an annular piston, but they were supported on both sides.
View attachment 878935
Unfortunately, the former characteristic was only easily possible because the example, in this case from Autosport Forums, is a two-stroke engine. Back to the proverbial drawing board.

I then had an idea that seems so simple someone must have thought of it before. Why not have the sleeve rotate around the cylinder at a constant speed, abandoning vertical movement entirely?
The sleeves could be geared together along each bank, much like the drive mechanism of this 1911 Reynolds rotary 4-valve, as depicted below by the Museum of American Speed.
View attachment 878927
Alternatively, if counter-rotating adjacent sleeves are not permissible, from helical/worm gears on a long shaft, as in the sleeve valve arrangement of the Napier Sabre.

Of the benefits mentioned previously, this scheme would provide all of them.
In fact, I believe there would be notable improvements in the following areas even over the non-poppet valves:

1: Breathing would be outrageously good.
A serious limiting factor on engine speed is that the valves can only open so fast to begin air or charge ingestion. Because the rate at which new port area is exposed at a given speed depends directly on the length of the port perpendicular to the direction of exposure, the sleeve-rotary valve would have an advantage over any other type of valve in this respect. (In a cylinder with a stroke of six inches, it would be able to expose a six-inch height of port all at once - and that is only per intake/exhaust channel!)

2: With some careful design, any present fuel injectors/spark plugs could be "shielded" from combustion by the rotating sleeve.
It is doubtful whether spark plugs could be made to operate properly while intermittently exposed to the oil film of the sleeve. As a result, it would probably be better to use a "double-fuel" system to provoke combustion. In any case, I am sure performance would benefit from having no irregularities in the surface of the combustion chamber at the time of the combustion.

3: With some additional modification, the joint between the cylinder and the head would no longer need to be sufficiently sealed to contain combustion.
If the sleeve were to be made all-encompassing (spanning the roof of the chamber as well as the sides), there would no longer be any way for combustion pressure to assault the head gasket. Obviously the force of combustion would still push upwards on the head the same amount, but the mounting specifications would only mandate that the total clamping force would be high enough, rather than needing every individual point on the circumference of a cylinder to be impenetrable against combustion pressure. I imagine this might allow for the elimination of the head gasket entirely. The seal would still have to contain oil pressure (and water pressure, in the case of water-cooled engines) but this takes substantially less rigorous design and manufacture.

4: Wear characteristics would potentially be better?
Additional research and discussion will be necessary to establish this, as I will later mention.

I think these features lend the sleeve-rotary valve strongly towards diesel use.

Naturally, once I had had this idea I went online to see if I was late to the party. It seems that many incarnations of rotary valves exist, but none that are positioned annularly. I find this hard to believe, as my proposed annular mounting would make the cylinder seal a virtuous cycle as opposed to the vicious cycle that most rotary valves have. Below are some depictions of rotary valves of various makes and eras. Links are available in the typical glossary.
Coates:
View attachment 878929
RCV:
View attachment 878930View attachment 878931
Bishop:
View attachment 878932

The list goes on....
I would provide pictures of German analogues from "The Secret Horsepower Race" but unfortunately my phone is currently down for the count. Perhaps someone can in my stead, or I may be able to do so in the coming few days.

The sleeve-rotary valve would have a few downsides, some shared with the other non-poppet valves but some more unique.

1: Intake and exhaust manifolds compete for space with cooling fins/channels.
While this also affects all other valve designs, sleeve-rotary engines might suffer more on this front because of the large port area intruding downwards along the sides of the cylinder. Hopefully this is a minimal downside, as the roof of the chamber (where the combustion most heats) would by contrast be entirely devoid of cooling obstructions, and if that is still not enough a balance must simply be struck between breathing and cooling. Additionally, the deep-set exhaust channels could pose a heat dissipation problem.

2: Intake and exhaust timing are somewhat linked.
Like most disk/spherical/rotary valves, the relative timing of the intake and exhaust cycles would be only minimally adjustable. This would be done by changing the location of the intake and exhaust channels on the cylinder, and their sizes.

3: More perimeter on the ports means more potential for oil intrusion into the combustion chamber, like sleeve and disk valves.
Hopefully this would be more of a maintenance nuisance than a performance inhibitor. If anyone can provide figures for the oil consumption of sleeve valves compared to their poppet counterparts that would be lovely. Again, wear and lubrication will be touched on later.

(This is later)

In my vast reading on sleeve valves, I came across people and sources that claim that rotating wear is better, that reciprocating wear is better, and that "hybrid" wear is better. This has done nothing but confuse me. My instinct would be that purely rotating wear is best, as there is no "ending" point of the motion and thus no distinct ridge of abrasion forms.

Engines using poppet and disk valves (meaning they have bare cylinder walls) experience piston wear of the reciprocating type.
Sleeve valve engines (besides mechanisms using only additional crank throws to control the sleeve motion) experience "hybrid" piston wear, as well as "hybrid" wear between the sleeve and the cylinder walls.
Sleeve-rotary valve engines would experience pure rotary wear between the sleeve and the cylinder wall, but "hybrid" wear between the piston and the sleeve.

I vaguely remembered reading about a rotating liner engine (aimed to improve wear characteristics), yet equipped with regular poppet valves. Having done some digging, I found the project again.
While I am skeptical as to the validity of their claims, I am not so pessimistic as to dismiss it on face value. Can those of you who are more experienced with this sort of thing comment on the difference in wear between rotating, reciprocating, and "hybrid" motion? The website link will be in the glossary.
View attachment 878937
If nothing else, this image provides another clear view of how the liners could be driven, whether from inside the crankcase or atop the head.

My congratulations for making it to the end of this post.
Again, thank you all for any insights and technical information provided.
If anyone can find evidence of this being attempted before, that would be appreciated as well.
In lieu of that, does anyone know a good patent lawyer?

-A.H.H

P.S. Some of these PDF documents and webpages are quite a good read!

Links in order of appearance:
C. E. Douglas, The secret horsepower race : Western Front fighter engine development. Horncastle: Tempest Books, 2021. (Various claims about disk-valve developments)
Sleeve Valves vs. Opposed Pistons - The Technical Forum (GIF 1)
1911 Reynolds Rotary Valve 4-Cyl. Engine (Image 1)
CSRV vs. Poppet Valve (Image 2)
Wayback Machine (Images 3 and 4)
https://www.v-eight.com/multimedia/pdf/AutoTechBRV.pdf (Image 5)
Solution – RLE (Image 6)
I am very interested in your observations. Have you studied the Junkers Jumo KM8 Torpedo engine developed at the end of WW2 ? The valves were developed by Dr.Wankel and were claimed to be the genisis of the Wankel Rotary engine. I found details in chapter 9 of a book about the critcal importance of torpedos as weapons written after WW2. This engine seems to me to follow a path to a reliable, if short lived by use, compact, 21 inch cross section, engine.
 
I had not come across the KM8, no.
It looks very interesting!
DiskTorp.PNG

The valve-gear seems essentially identical to the single-cylinder diagrams from "The Secret Horsepower Race", but this document goes further in describing the design and construction rationale. I am particularly interested in the valve opening and closing timings.
Do you have any recommended reading on this subject?

I imagine that you are correct in that the near-zero requirement for space over the head of my engine would make it suitable for this.

I will likely return to this concept periodically as I become a better designer, I hope it is alright to use this forum as a sort of "think-tank" to flesh out a theoretical engine or aircraft.
 

Attachments

  • Junkers Jumo KM8 Torpedo Engine.pdf
    7.9 MB · Views: 26
The topic of my valve design came up again during other discussion, prompting me to produce some general explanatory images.
Below are side and top views, each presenting the system as it would appear during TDC and BDC.
The two-stroke operating cycle is assumed for this representation, but I am confident viewers will be able to easily extrapolate the equivalent four-stroke arrangement.
No variables involved in this mechanism (valve timing, stroke length, port size, manifold design, etc...) are intended to depict an "ideal" implementation, the goal of these images is only to provide a clear view of the overarching concept.

Green represents the piston, red the sleeve, and black the cylinder liner and manifolds.
Images produced with Google Drawings.
Sleeve-Rotary.png

Sleeve-Rotary Top View.png


As usual, commentary is very much welcome.
-A.H.H
 
The topic of my valve design came up again during other discussion, prompting me to produce some general explanatory images.
Below are side and top views, each presenting the system as it would appear during TDC and BDC.
The two-stroke operating cycle is assumed for this representation, but I am confident viewers will be able to easily extrapolate the equivalent four-stroke arrangement.
No variables involved in this mechanism (valve timing, stroke length, port size, manifold design, etc...) are intended to depict an "ideal" implementation, the goal of these images is only to provide a clear view of the overarching concept.

Green represents the piston, red the sleeve, and black the cylinder liner and manifolds.
Images produced with Google Drawings.
View attachment 884511
View attachment 884512

As usual, commentary is very much welcome.
-A.H.H
We're already discussing the same thing in another thread, aren't we?
 
I thought it prudent to duplicate the images here both to consolidate content relating to my design and because some interested parties may be watching this thread but not the more recent one.
If this goes against some forum rule I will of course correct things.
 
Obviously model engines.

And obviously similar to one of the three Roland Chilton's patents - Roland Chilton among many and many other inventors of "special" valves.
 
Simon, thank you for sharing this.
While I had included a similar design from RCV in my initial post, this version seems to far more closely resemble mine. Unfortunately, their website is rather sparse. Do you know of anywhere I can read on the development process of this design?

Bretoal, would you provide a link to the patents you mentioned in the other discussion? Two of those patents resemble the two RCV designs Simon and I provided, but I have been unable to find 2146428. Annoyingly, looking for a patent of that number yields links to the conversation in this forum...
 
Simon, thank you for sharing this.
While I had included a similar design from RCV in my initial post, this version seems to far more closely resemble mine. Unfortunately, their website is rather sparse. Do you know of anywhere I can read on the development process of this design?

Bretoal, would you provide a link to the patents you mentioned in the other discussion? Two of those patents resemble the two RCV designs Simon and I provided, but I have been unable to find 2146428. Annoyingly, looking for a patent of that number yields links to the conversation in this forum...

My answer in one of your multiple threads.
 
I was very much familiar with your previous comment, but unfortunately it took the form of merely stating the patent numbers. The only one I could not reach was because (as Simon discovered) it contained a typo.

Nobody is infallible, I only mean to suggest that links and images and whatnot make understanding more accessible to all.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back