SM.79 question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hoggardhigh

Airman 1st Class
Jan 6, 2014
United States
Hi all,

Wikipedia's article on the Savoia-Marchetti SM-79 states that the later SM-79-II model dispensed with the bomb bay featured on the SM-79-I model, while other sources suggest that both of these variants retained the bomb bay.

Anyone know which is correct?

Thanks

According to my reference both the SM.79-I and 79-II were assembled as a bomber and all of them had the bomb bay. However the SM-79-II model was fitted with the torpedo racks mostly and had the bombardier's station removed. The reason for that was the weight and size of the armament racked under the fuselage. The torpedo planes had the bomber stuff removed to reduce the plane weight while the bomber aircraft retained the one.Instead of bombs there it was possible to attach an additional fuel tank of 720l in tha bay.

Last edited:
The great thing about this forum is it makes you look and think. And it has very informative members.
I'm with Wurger.

Looks like the 79-II kept the doors based on this underside view.
But they wouldn't be able to be opened with the starboard torpedo fitted.
Something I didn't know is they're offset to starboard...

Are these the doors as indicated?...

What do you mean, they would be able to be opened?

IMHO yes , these still could be opened. As I mentioned above the only thing that was removed was the stuff of the bombardier's station. Also the bomb racks in the bay. But the doors still were there and the manual mechanizm for its opening I would say. Of course there wasan't a need to open that if no bombs there.

What do you mean, they would be able to be opened?

What I mean is I believe the doors could/would not open with the STARBOARD torpedo fitted, as Fubar mentions above.
No problems if only the PORT torpedo is fitted.
Seems logical?

I usually count 4 S.79 versions.

1- typical bomber version

2- typical bomber version with torpedo rack and sight

3- field mod with bomb racks taken out and an eventual 720lit fuel tank in place like said above. This aircraft are said also to have ethanol(?) injector for engine to give a boost in emergency. I don't know if this was only with Alfa 128 engine or also with Alfa 126.

4- sometime so called S.79 II or III with bomb sight and it's gondola removed. So this model are for all proposes maritime attack aircraft with torpedoes only, they can no more do level bombing - which make sense if we look at Italian practice of trained torpedo crews only dropping torpedoes or circular torpedoes. These aircraft have Alfa 128 RC18 - it is possible some of the field mods also had this engine-
The data i have they could take a torpedo or 2 circular torpedoes or a 500kg bomb all external.

Users who are viewing this thread