Smoke Markers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
The Lead Squadron Bombardier was sighting for the entire Squadron. It was important that those releasing bombs in other aircraft knew the exact second his bombs left the bombay. To aid this visual sighting the first two out of Lead aircraft were "smoke markers". Their primary purpose was to assure the sighting so the Squadron drop was as compact as possible. However, the smoke markers served another purpose. They identified the general target location for following aircraft in the bomber stream. You could see them for miles. The effect of the wind at altitude would turn them into odd forms as they drifted along in their flight to the ground. I appreciated their presence a lot as it gave me time to check equipment settings one last time and prepare mentally to enter the target flak zone. Funny how little things like this remain so vivid in my mind after so many years.

The mixture of smoke marker trails and darkened flak sky over Berlin was disturbing to say the least.

P.S. They also gave time to turn the heat down on my electric suit. Less heat was required over the target. :)

Last edited:
Here's what they looked like:

NkqCYE2.jpg

Source: Flickr, original source unknown

B-17Gs of the 546th Bomb Squadron drop their loads on the rail yards at Elsterwerda, Germany 19 April 1945. Note the smoke marker dropped by the lead aircraft signaling the remaining aircraft to drop their bombs.

Note: Elsterwerda is north of Dresden, about 1/3 of the way from Dresden to Berlin.

What did these look like Bill? Were these dedicated for the purpose or were they attached to the bombs somehow?
They were dedicated for the purpose. A cylinder shape with tail fins filled with white phosphorous.

Here's what they looked like:

View attachment 498837
Source: Flickr, original source unknown

B-17Gs of the 546th Bomb Squadron drop their loads on the rail yards at Elsterwerda, Germany 19 April 1945. Note the smoke marker dropped by the lead aircraft signaling the remaining aircraft to drop their bombs.

Note: Elsterwerda is north of Dresden, about 1/3 of the way from Dresden to Berlin.
Thanks for posting the photo.

They were dedicated for the purpose. A cylinder shape with tail fins filled with white phosphorous.

Pardon my language but HOLY CRAP! Let's fly over enemy territory and let them fire AAA at us while we're carrying big cans of WP in the belly! That would almost frighten me more than having a load of live bombs in there...almost.

Just add one more notch to the bomber crews' list of bada$$ery. Bill Runnels, you and your fellow "bomber boys" (both American and British) have not only my respect and admiration, but I'm completely in AWE. The things you guys did on a regular basis would put most guys under a table, curled up in a fetal position, nowdays.

-Irish

Thank you, Bill.
Great information about the less known target identification bombs.

Here is another photo example, self explanatory; source Page 1 WWII US Air Force Photos - Fold3
44BG lead smoke bombs 26 Aug 1944.jpg

Other photo examples here Page 1 WWII US Air Force Photos - Fold3 and here Page 1 WWII US Air Force Photos - Fold3 for those with fold3.com access.

Details about target identification bombs (ordnance) can be found here http://bulletpicker.com/pdf/OP 1664, US Explosive Ordnance, Volume 1.pdf (large 42 MB), search: Target identification bombs

Here is a description and drawing of the target identification bomb M84 (visually similar to the smoke ordnance pictured above)
Target identification bomb; M84.jpg

The other ordnance possibility in this lead bomber role was the "Smoke Streamer Bomb" T29.
‘Smoke Streamer Bomb’ T29.jpg

‘Smoke Streamer Bomb’ T29 [detail].jpg

Looking at the various designs of these target identification bombs it seems none used white phosphorus as an active component to create the smoke trail.

Bill, I'm curious. All these black and white images make the smoke trails look white. In your experience were they actually red smoke trails? This seems to be the design of the target identification bomb M84. The T29 ordnance could it seems use other colors but it is unclear if white was one of them.

Last edited:
Pardon my language but HOLY CRAP! Let's fly over enemy territory and let them fire AAA at us while we're carrying big cans of WP in the belly! That would almost frighten me more than having a load of live bombs in there...almost.

Just add one more notch to the bomber crews' list of bada$$ery. Bill Runnels, you and your fellow "bomber boys" (both American and British) have not only my respect and admiration, but I'm completely in AWE. The things you guys did on a regular basis would put most guys under a table, curled up in a fetal position, nowdays.

-Irish
Strange as it may seem, we were not the least bit concerned about the bombs etc. as they were a safe cargo. One of my duties prior to take off was to inspect the armature wire installation to be sure they extended through each bomb fuse at least three inches. If in place there was little chance of an accidental detonation while in flight. Our real concern was the cold temperature and use of oxygen for an extended period of time at altitude.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back