Solenoid actuator (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm the volunteer curator of the Freeman Army Airfield Museum. After WWII was over, Freeman Field was repurposed into the Foreign Aircraft Evaluation Center. After about 18 months, the evaluation of the 160 enemy aircraft was completed. Whole aircraft went to museums. Disassembled parts were buried. This is one of the buried parts.

It appears to be an electrically-operated solenoid. The part number is SHSM7000/1Z, and under that, 24 volt. That appears to be English, so it could be from a Allied airplane. We had a few Allied planes here; a Hawker typhoon (MN235!!), and a Spitfire. We have found some buried parts that were not from aircraft, but most are.

We would like to know on which aircraft the actuator was used, and what it actuated. I have the part here at home right now, so I can take different view pictures, or try to answer any questions. Thank you for your help.
IMG_4157.JPG
IMG_4158.JPG

IMG_4160.JPG
IMG_4161.JPG

IMG_4164.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
It is German. A Bosch part for an inertial starter with electrical actuation. From an aircraft with electrical/inertia starter, which was most of the larger German aircraft and the FW 190 types, but not the Bf 109 which had a manual only inertia starter.
Feel free to ask more , I can id many German parts.

More specifically, it is the Kuppelmagnet for the Bosch inertia starter type AL/SGC. The solenoid generated a force of 17kg and had a 10mm movement of the operating rod.
This 1Z series number is an early standard production. Reductions in the quality and quantity of the component metals, and slight changes in production saw this component had reached the 3Z series by 1942.
The AL/SGC type starter was very popular and is specified on many types, including most of the Daimler-Benz, JUMO and BMW engines in specific sub-types.

Eng

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Engineman. This is just the information we needed. And you too Tony, for the picture of the starter. We are just about to reorganize or Fw-190 parts display area. Now we know that we can include this inertial starter actuator in the display. In the museum world, we always try to tell a story; not just what an item is. We have some parts of the BMW 801 engine, and now this starter actuator will fit right in. ..... Just as a side note, back in the mid-60's, I flew a DeHavilland DHC-2 Beaver, for around 27 hours. It had an inertial starter, so I have actually started such a radial engine (P&W R-985).

Thank you, Engineman. This is just the information we needed. And you too Tony, for the picture of the starter. We are just about to reorganize or Fw-190 parts display area. Now we know that we can include this inertial starter actuator in the display. In the museum world, we always try to tell a story; not just what an item is. We have some parts of the BMW 801 engine, and now this starter actuator will fit right in. ..... Just as a side note, back in the mid-60's, I flew a DeHavilland DHC-2 Beaver, for around 27 hours. It had an inertial starter, so I have actually started such a radial engine (P&W R-985).
Thank you Larry, it is a pleasure to help. You might be interested that the German Bosch inertial starters were originally licenced copies of the American Eclipse starters. Early German versions (in the 1930's) carried a "licence Eclipse" plate. However, German Bosch developed the parts further themselves during WW2.
Please post further id or German info problems, or PM me directly if you wish.

Eng

A protocol question: OK, so I posted a parts ID request (this solenoid actuator), and Engineman was kind enough to provide the information I needed. I thanked him (and Tony) for their help. What happens now? My original request, with the pictures, takes up a fair amount of space. Since my needs were met, is there something I should be doing to close this thread out? Will it just go away after a certain amount of time? I don't want to be one of those people who takes advantage of the generosity of others, but then never cleans up the mess they made. I want to be welcome here in the future. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Hi Larry,
As I understand it, these posts remain as they are in the site until it is closed or archived. It is possible that someone may make further answers in future.
It is not a mess, just a future reference source.

Cheers

Eng

Thanks Tony,
Yes, a very nice shot of an AL/SGC 24 DR 2. This code is a Bosch part number that is an abbreviation of the German description with specific details of it, like the voltage and the rotation direction.
The Gerat-Nr 9-7004 D-2 is the RLM equipment code that matches the Bosch part number in the RLM way.

Thanks for posting!

Eng

Users who are viewing this thread

Back