Some very odd markings!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I haven't figured' out how zoom the picture. Can you close in on the stern?
Go to post #13, fourth photo down.

Click (or tap if you're on a phone) that photo and it should expand. Then look to the top of the photo and click the magnifying glass to zoom in. Then you should be able to drag the photo to the stern to see the two aircraft better.

To close the photo, click (or tap) the X in the upper right corner.

SaparotRob SaparotRob
Here's a screenshot of the aircraft in question, courtesy of my crappy cellphone (have I mentioned that I hate this f**king thing?).
Anyway, hope this helps.

Screenshot_2022-01-06-21-23-42.png

Good spotting, looks like an SNJ as Wes pointed out, with that pointed fin/rudder and bulges in the wing leading edge where it meets the fuselage.
Agree on the SNJ to the left, but look at the cowl-ring on the aircraft to the right - that has me baffled. That's why I thought it might be a BT-9/early BT-14 or something similar.

Yup, definitely something odd going on. I think it is an SBD, the tail and wing surfaces are the same as the other aircraft (bar the SNJ) but the cowl is some trickery - perhaps the cowls are open? It does appear overly large compared to the aircraft further forward...

Yup, definitely something odd going on. I think it is an SBD, the tail and wing surfaces are the same as the other aircraft (bar the SNJ) but the cowl is some trickery - perhaps the cowls are open? It does appear overly large compared to the aircraft further forward...
The Director of Maintenance who hired me for the commuter airline job, and his brother, the Airport Manager had a Vultee "Vibrator" whose cowling was hinged at the top, latched at the bottom and secured with a couple dzus fasteners on each side. For quick engine access you would pop the dzuses, unlatch the lower clasp, open it like a clamshell, and lift it up and back, perching it on the forward fuselage just aft of the engine. It then looked rather like an old fashioned "speed ring" cowling slid backward. You suppose that's our mystery bird on the portside fantail?

You suppose that's our mystery bird on the portside fantail?

Not really Wes, it's definitely an SBD, take a look at the fin and hori-stab and overall size, matches the aircraft around it. I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and state that the cowl looks overly large because of the resolution of the image not providing any visual distinction behind the line of the cowl and the visual cues from the ship's wake on the water's surface. Even the shadow matches a smaller cowl size and shape.

Looking closely at the second and third enlargement Wojtek posted, I think the aircraft with the darkened Star and Bars is a F6F. It's not an Avenger because it's not as big and it's not an F4F because the undercarriage is in the wing stub and the hori stab is too big. Dunno why the stars were a dark shade on the other aircraft tho.
Take another look. Use your magnifying glass. The wing aligns with the upper/lower fuselage camouflage color line: ergo mid wing, not low wing. There appears to be a landing gear well in the lower fuselage below and just forward of the wing leading edge. The aft fuselage is stubby with pronounced taper, making the stabilizers look oversized for the aircraft, and the engine cowling appears about right size for a nine cylinder radial layout, not sharply tapered forward for the seven cylinder frontal format of the F4F. My money is on the FM2 with the two stage Wright 1820. Rivet counters of the world, arise! You have nothing to lose but the fog on your lenses!

My money is on the FM2 with the two stage Wright 1820. Rivet counters of the world, arise! You have nothing to lose but the fog on your lenses!
My money is still on the F6F, Wes. The undercarriage leg is on the stub wing, you can see the leg starting at the point of the wing fold, also, look at the hori stab, it's too big to be an FM-2, there's an F4F for comparison nearby, so get out that lens cleaner, my man.

My money is still on the F6F, Wes. The undercarriage leg is on the stub wing, you can see the leg starting at the point of the wing fold, also, look at the hori stab, it's too big to be an FM-2, there's an F4F for comparison nearby, so get out that lens cleaner, my man.
Gawd, shoe leather tastes awful! We were talking about different planes. I was talking about the one you labeled F4F just now, as I thought that was the one you had earlier accused of being a Hellcat. The folded wing F6F I had already passed over as just another Avenger. I'm still voting for the Wilcat as an FM2, as that cowling still looks too fat for a Pratt 1830.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back