Some very odd markings!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OldGeezer

Airman 1st Class
Dec 11, 2020
USS Liscome Bay, CVE-56, with some very interesting markings on some of the aircraft. The info on the photo says it's in San Francisco Bay, 20 December 1943. Transitioning to new-style markings I understand, but the dark stars...

1641254500916.png

Maybe so. Or the masking for the white star had not yet been peeled off.

Great find. I like the theory of paint masks for the new star and bar insignia. The one Avenger by the sail has the new markings and other aircraft have a single or two star-in-circle types on the wings. Others have the right insignia sprayed out.

Looking closely at the second and third enlargement Wojtek posted, I think the aircraft with the darkened Star and Bars is a F6F. It's not an Avenger because it's not as big and it's not an F4F because the undercarriage is in the wing stub and the hori stab is too big. Dunno why the stars were a dark shade on the other aircraft tho.

You have better eyes than I have. I think you're right. Where the vertical stab meets the fuselage there is a slight curve. It would be more angular, methinks, if it were a TBF.
I can't tell but is the engine missing or is it lost in shadow?

Last edited:
I can't tell but is the engine missing or is it lost in shadow?

I think the engine is missing, Rob. It's pretty close to the SBD's rudder in front of it.

In my post, I was talking about this one, which is DEFINITELY and Avenger. Look at the canopy.

I wasn't specifically referring to your post, Andy, but it struck me the more I looked at that aircraft I was referring to that it was different to the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back