Soviet and Western Allies Air forces close to each other (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

May 8, 2017
Santiago
Hi!
I thought I had already asked this here, but it seems I didn't
After Operation Titanic/Frantic, there wasn't too much collaboration between VVS and Western Allies (WA) airforces. We even have some clashes, as late as 1945, besides Nis, like the last deployment of Erich Hartmann, some P-51's of 359 Fighter Group fighting some Yak-9's over Kustrin or Kozhedub allegedly shooting down P-51's.
Anyway, there had to be moments, late at war, in which Soviet and WA airforces operated in the same area, as Stalin rejected Western Allied liaison officers. Are there any examples of said operations on the same place? Or there weren't such cases?

As described in the book "World War II Aircraft in Combat," in early November 1944 the 15th Air Force was asked to provide close air support to Soviet forces chasing the Germans in Yugoslavia. P-38's of the 82nd Fighter Group operating from Foggia, IT were sent on the mission. The Soviets were so pleased with the P-38's effectiveness that they asked for the same support the next day. But the Soviets were now 100 km further than the day before and they were pressing the Germans so hard that the fleeing Germans and advancing Soviets were virtually one long line of vehicles. The P-38's hit the column and tore into the Soviets as well, killing a 3 star Soviet general officer. With no way to communicate with the Americans the Soviets called for help from their Yak-9's , which shot down two P-38's. The Americans then shot down four of the Yak-9's.

The Soviets then executed those responsible on their side and demanded that the USAAF treat the 82nd Commander the same way; instead he was reassigned out of Europe.
P-38VsYak9sm2.jpg
Thrilling artwork attached.

Last edited:
As described in the book "World War II Aircraft in Combat," in early November 1944 the 15th Air Force was asked to provide close air support to Soviet forces chasing the Germans in Yugoslavia. P-38's of the 82nd Fighter Group operating from Foggia, IT were sent on the mission. The Soviets were so pleased with the P-38's effectiveness that they asked for the same support the next day. But the Soviets were now 100 km further than the day before and they were pressing the Germans so hard that the fleeing Germans and advancing Soviets were virtually one long line of vehicles. The P-38's hit the column and tore into the Soviets as well, killing a 3 star Soviet general officer. With no way to communicate with the Americans the Soviets called for help from their Yak-9's , which shot down two P-38's. The Americans then shot down four of the Yak-9's.

I'm guessing the combat you mention is the Battle over Nis. What can you tell me about the American CAS to the Soviets that actually happened, the day before?

Well, writing this post and after a little search, it seems it's related to this
Balkan Air Force - Wikipedia
A real multinational effort: Polish, American, UK, Soviet, Greek, South African, Yugoslavian and Co-Belligerant Italian Air Forces.

Sorry, can't tell you anything more than what I already did. I wonder why the Soviets asked for USAAF ground support if they had fighters in the area? Admittedly a P-38 would beat a Yak-9 when it came to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back