Soviet vs. Japanese Fighters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think a lot of us are aware of Lindbergh's infidelities, but that was well after WW2.
I've never read of even a rumor of him having any relations with German women ( in Germany) before WW2.

I hadn't checked the timeline of his infidelities; I knew the Lindberghs had moved to Europe in 1935. Lindbergh was not particularly condemnatory towards either Hitler or the nazis; he was openly antisemitic (). He was also far from alone in his views (Henry Ford's antisemitic writings were on many a nazi shelf).[/QUOTE]

Hi Swampyankee

Your BBC link does not work on my computer. Is that my internet provider or your link?

Did China or anyone else see a role for ex-Japanese fighters after WW2? Israel had Spitfires and the Avia S-199 Bf 109 with Merlin engine. Were the Japanese designs all dead ends in the post-war era?

Nationalist China operated some Ki-44 and Ki-84 post war. Did they ever clash with Communist China fighters of Soviet origin? It seems the PLAAF's first fighters were Mustangs. I suppose no one wanted to build knock off Ki-84s with some many surplus Wally fighters flogging out.

Last edited:
I believe both the French and the Thai were using Ki-43s a bit post war, not sure how advisable it was. From Wikipedia they were also a handful used by the Chinese (Nationalist and Communist, the latter until 1952). I would think the main issue with using Japanese kit would be the availability of spares. The Avia and the Buchon 109s were both being license built in factories outside of the most devastated areas.

My one big question is based on the Soviet Eastern oilfields. Where were / are they? How far would the Japanese have to go?

In Northern Sakhalin only. More info here:
Soviet vs. Japanese Fighters
Very quick win for Japan in the suggested scenario (Soviet forces were small and isolated on Sakhalin) but not very large gain compared to oil needs overall.
The biggest prize in terms of mineral resources for Japan would be on the mainland in theory. Subject Japan has time and resources to reach various sites across that huge territory and to occupy or to claim parts of the GULag slave empire.

I remember the japanese did have some rare metals and so on - I think from mines in China or Manchuria, which the Germans needed and they sent them some by submarine, but in later attempts the submarines were sunk en route (with fabulous treasures aboard - they sound like they would be a magnificent find for one of those outfits who do wreck recovery)

(quickly googling, it appears they did find at least one of them Lost Japanese Sub With 2 Tons of Axis Gold Found on Floor of Atlantic)

I have enjoyed reading this very interesting thread. I just can't help
believing that the Japanese Navy & IJNAF would have played a much
bigger roll than has been discussed here. Especially since they would not
have been preoccupied with the USN.
A6M2 vs. Yak-1, Yak-7, LaGG-3, MiG-3, La-5
A6M3 vs. Yak-1, Yak-7, LaGG-3, La-5F & La-5FN

La-7 would have held its own against excellent examples of the Ki.84-1a.
J2M3 vs. Yak-9U
N1K2-J vs. Yak-9U & La-7
Interesting matchups there would have been.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread