Sperry Elevation Gyro with part and serial number - what airplane?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Spitlead

Airman 1st Class
Feb 19, 2019
Okay, I know this is a REAL long shot but here goes. I found this Sperry Elevation Gyroscope in the personal effects of a B-17 pilot. There are no markings to what aircraft it might have belonged to. The part number and serial number are very clear in the photo. I have searched the internet for any database that might have it and have not found anything. I am sure a ton of these were manufactured during the course of the war. They were also used on Naval guns as well but I doubt this one came from a ship. Just wondering if any sharp person on aircraft parts might have an answer or a clue. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20230321_141604.jpg
    20230321_141604.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 17
Looks like non-aircraft US Navy to me. I would expect "Elevation Gyro" to indicate gun elevation. Aircraft would typically use Vertical or Horizontal Gyro.

Bureau of Ordnance - Wikipedia

The Bureau of Ordnance (BuOrd) was a United States Navy organization, which was responsible for the procurement, storage, and deployment of all naval weapons, between the years 1862 and 1959.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back