Spinner / Nose Cone Identification Help Needed Please

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nitixope

Recruit
Dec 20, 2020
Does anyone happen to know which aircraft this part belongs to? I acquired it in Fort Worth, TX and the gentleman whose estate I bought it from, it was my understanding that he worked for one of the local museums for many years and had an eye for collecting interesting things. It appears to be made of aluminum and dimensions are 15" diameter x 15" tall. My scale at home is broken but I'm guessing it weighs about 25 lbs...it's pretty solid. I could not locate any markings on the inside. Is there a market for this sort of thing or any desirability for by professional restoration groups or enthusiasts or is the condition really bad? Not entirely sure about the pink and green paint but would be interested to hear any thoughts on this. It could have been used as some sort of decoration or yard art for all I know. Thanks so much in advance.

Xc3A1wB.jpg

C5dcD1k.jpg

QR1eMsS.png

Here's a few examples that I found either online or on this forum showing a Grumman F4F that has a similar shape.

https://history.nasa.gov/SP-09-511.pdf

f4f-3-jpg.jpg

There are no cut out for the blades, so it may only be a forward cover for a propeller. There may have been a rear bulkhead that had the cut out for the blades. Do you have the diameter of the hole in the inner ring, as it looks like a support piece to hold the spinner centered when rotating.
On your F4F image you can see the blades exiting the spinner.
I do not have any idea what aircraft it came off of.

Does anyone happen to know which aircraft this part belongs to? I acquired it in Fort Worth, TX and the gentleman whose estate I bought it from, it was my understanding that he worked for one of the local museums for many years and had an eye for collecting interesting things. It appears to be made of aluminum and dimensions are 15" diameter x 15" tall. My scale at home is broken but I'm guessing it weighs about 25 lbs...it's pretty solid. I could not locate any markings on the inside. Is there a market for this sort of thing or any desirability for by professional restoration groups or enthusiasts or is the condition really bad? Not entirely sure about the pink and green paint but would be interested to hear any thoughts on this. It could have been used as some sort of decoration or yard art for all I know. Thanks so much in advance.

View attachment 605817

View attachment 605818

View attachment 605819
Here's a few examples that I found either online or on this forum showing a Grumman F4F that has a similar shape.

https://history.nasa.gov/SP-09-511.pdf

f4f-3-jpg.jpg
The spinner dimensions and the small hole on the tip suggest me that the spinner would belong to a jet engine compressor.
Cheers Gigi

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a quick Google and there were several airliners in pink livery. Looking at the green paint it kinda looks like it could be a spiral seen on many spinner cones

Wipe the inside down a small area at a time with a wet cloth and look for part numbers either inked on or stamped into the metal. The metal stamps will typically be about 3mm/0.125" high.
Also look for inspection stamps - often an oval with letters and numbers but can be a letter or other shape

Users who are viewing this thread

Back