Spitfire does it have a single-spar wing (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was about to post those pics, fastmongrel.

I think what the real issue here is, is that what is termed 'single-spar' is a misnomer. A single spar wing is a theoretical construct (unless we're talking helicopter rotor blades). But, wings have been termed 'single spar' even if they have multiple spars, but most of the loads being transferred through one main spar.

Indeed so guys.
The pictures that rear spare is slighter at a glance than in the draughted design pic, even wing root bracing and stiffening longerons from the main are more substantial structurally - hinting at the role the wing skins played in 'tieing' it all together. I can see why some earlier marks of wings could have some rearwards structural wing problems if used on later marks of engine fusalage.

Last edited:
Off topic I know, but that top picture shows the wing of Spitfire XIV NH799; it's a little further along since the pictures on Avspecs' website were taken, but, it'll be flying by early next year (fingers crossed).

Off topic I know, but that top picture shows the wing of Spitfire XIV NH799; it's a little further along since the pictures on Avspecs' website were taken, but, it'll be flying by early next year (fingers crossed).

Avspecs post some great photos on facebook I wish they would put more up though I suppose they are very busy. It would be a dream job to work there maybe one day if my numbers come up on the Lotto I could go over and help out (also known as getting in the way) even if it was just making the tea and sweeping up the workshop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back