Spitfire fuel tanks questions (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ryanjames17

Airman
Jul 26, 2018
I know the they did dabble with upping the fuel capacity on the spitfire some, dose anyone know how much fuel was added say from the MK1 to MK11, MKV, MkIX ect and where they stuffed it at?

Also what was the fuel capacity on say the photo recon aircraft based on these marks

I know the they did dabble with upping the fuel capacity on the spitfire some, dose anyone know how much fuel was added say from the MK1 to MK11, MKV, MkIX ect and where they stuffed it at?

Also what was the fuel capacity on say the photo recon aircraft based on these marks
The Spitfire went through several internal fuel tank modifications, but all single seat marks retained the two tanks in front of the cockpit, one above the other, totalling 85 Imperial gallons. A rear fuselage tank was experimented with on some later marks, but the a/c was very unstable with that tank full so it had to be burned off first. The PR versions had different internal wing tank setups too. Many had the section in front of the main spar sealed and turned into fuel tanks, to give a huge increase in capacity, some totalling an extra 132 gallons. Some PR versions had a rear fuselage tank also. A fixed wing tank of 30 gallons was installed the port wing on some Mark I aircraft, but was not widely used. Four different slipper drop tanks were used on various marks, up to 170 gallons in capacity. Even larger drop tanks up to 220 gallons were toyed with. Information from 'Spitfire, The History' by Eric Morgan and Edward Shacklady.

I think you may find HERE answer to most of your questions.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back