Spitfire IXc Cockpit (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mar 2, 2018
Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and currently working on a Spitfire IXc. Painting the cockpit XF-71(acrylic) and I'm wondering how to proceed with getting a used but not abused look.
I'm thinking Humbrol 80, but already read on this forum enamels might not be best. My experience is in miniature painting and all the colours were progressive in shades so it was easy to go to the next step.
Thinking artist oils, but for such a light green I'm wondering what colours or techniques you would use to avoid a muddy finish.
I figure for highlights I'll go with some white mixed into the base and drybrushing.
I look forward to hearing some feedback and pointers.

Cheers,
David

Add a bit of grey or white to your XF-71 to lighten it and dry brush over the raised parts. I use Citadel washes or powdered tempera paint for washes, these go best over gloss finishes. I use a quilters silver pencil to make paint chips and scratches

George pretty much covered it. You could also use Tamiya XF-21 for the drybrushed highlights if you don't have white to mix. Normally not a good idea to apply enamels over acrylics so I'd stick with the Tamiyas.

Agreed. Please also note that there wasn't much of dirt in cockpits usually. The maintenance crews kept them clean as much as it was possible. The most of weathering traces consisted of scratches and paint abrasions at metal parts that you may replicate with a fine brush, spongue or Q-tips using an aluminium paint and a cockpit base colour brightened up with some of white.

Agree with all. Any dirt as such tended to end up in the bottom of the cockpit fuselage section, as there wasn't a floor. I tend to paint this area (the area under the rudder actuator rods) a slightly darker shade, to add depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back