Spitfire Mk XIV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ONE_HELLCAT

Airman 1st Class
May 26, 2008
Ventura County
So I know this board is mostly for eternal markings of aircraft, but I was wondering if anyone had some information on the colors used in the cockpit and the firewall of the Spitfire Mk XIV. It seems like everywhere you look, there's something that looks different.

Also, details on the the paint schemes the RAF used in Europe would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Hallo One_Helcat,

The Spitfire Mk.VIII, IX, XIV interior was painted with Grey Green colour, ES 34226, Humbrol78, Gunze H70, Xtracolor X10.

The rest of colours you can find in the table below.

The standard camo scheme for Spitfire Mk.XIV fighters was painted with Dark Green FS34095 and Ocean Grey FS36187 on upper and side surfaces.Medium Sea Grey FS36270 on undersides.Additional colours on aircraft for quick identification were Sky type S FS34583- spinners and stripes on fuselages directly in front of the tail section.Yellow FS33655 - the leading edges of wings following from the outer gun to the light on the tip of the wing.

Shortly before the D-day started all RAF planes that were going to take part in Overlord operation, had gotten the B&W ( three white and two black ) 18 inches stripes around wings and rear part of fuselages ( in front of the Sky stripe) Later these stripes were removed gradually,firstly from upper surfaces of wings and fuselages and then from undersides.On January the Third of 1945 on all aircraft of the Second TAF in Europe all elements of quick ID including the Sky type S stripe on fuselages were removed.From the date spinners could be painted with any colour including personal ones.On March the Eighth 1945 it was ordered that some of fighter planes could be without the camouflage ( simple bare metal- aluminium) The order was for NA P-51 Mustang MK.III and IV, Supermarine Spitfire.

If you look around the section you can find some additional infos.If not feel free to ask,please.

my best,

Attachments

• Spit colors.jpg
    Spit colors.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 519
Thank you, this proves we're doing everything the right color, except I was wondering more about gauges and levers and certain panels in the cockpit. I believe it's the oil pressure gauge where there's been debate over what color it was. I remember, it was something to do with whether or not two gauges were yellow and blue in the Mk XIV.

On January the Third of 1945 on all aircraft of the Second TAF in Europe all elements of quick ID including the Sky type S stripe on fuselages were removed.From the date spinners could be painted with any colour including personal ones.

No, this was forbidden.

Because 2nd TAF often operated from bases close to the front line they were close to enemy airfields. To reduce the vulnerability from aerial attack the Sky spinners were repainted black and the Sky band over painted, usually with one of the camouflage colours typically Ocean Grey. Typhoons and Tac Rec Mustangs (Mk I and II) had slightly different rules for camouflage and markings with their own recognition markings that were revised several times. At one time Typhoons were ordered to paint their spinners to match their cowlings and then later to paint them Sky. Mustang Mk IIIs used white bands and spinners as a recognition aid.

Typhoon squadrons seem to have been the chief culprits for painting their spinners in flight colours etc. This was not officially sanctioned and the Air Ministry sent signals reminding units what the rules were. On the 3rd January 1945 2nd TAF issued orders that all aircraft under its command were to remove the 18in Sky band and all individual or unit identity colours which were applied to spinners. Mostly spinners were painted black but some Mustangs had spinners in a camouflage colour. Late in the war some of the Mustang III squadrons adopted coloured spinners. The Mustang Mk IV didn't enter service with the RAF until near the end of the War (March/April 1945). Some of these had more colourful schemes.

Late in the war Britain agreed to accept aircraft from the USA that were not camouflaged. The same did not apply to indigenous aircraft which continued to be camouflaged. On 8th March 1945 it was declared that all Mustangs were to drop their camouflage schemes but photographic evidence suggests that many did not have their camouflage removed. Some Mustang Mk IVs arrived in camouflage; these were mostly sent to North Africa, Italy and India. After the war the RAF painted some aircraft silver. The official name of the colour is High Speed Silver. The RAF always painted their aircraft, they were never bare metal. Post war many spitfires were left in camouflage. Spitfires sent to Japan as part of the occupying forces were repainted silver because the high command wanted them to look 'smart'. The RAuxAF adopted an all-over silver scheme for their spitfires. High Speed Silver disappeared when the RAF adopted polyurethane paints. At that time it was not possible to produce polyurethane metallic paints. A new colour, Light Aircraft Grey, was substituted which was considered to look something like the silver finish.

No, this was forbidden.

Typhoon squadrons seem to have been the chief culprits for painting their spinners in flight colours etc. This was not officially sanctioned and the Air Ministry sent signals reminding units what the rules were. On the 3rd January 1945 2nd TAF issued orders that all aircraft under its command were to remove the 18in Sky band and all individual or unit identity colours which were applied to spinners. Mostly spinners were painted black but some Mustangs had spinners in a camouflage colour. Late in the war some of the Mustang III squadrons adopted coloured spinners. The Mustang Mk IV didn't enter service with the RAF until near the end of the War (March/April 1945). Some of these had more colourful schemes.

Very interesting info here.Where did you find it? Could you tell me the source? I'm interested in.:D

Besides I wrote that there was a possibility of that but not of being a rule.Anyway glad of finding out something new.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back