Spitfire Vc BR126 paint schemes - what does Mr Cauchi say?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

36feet10inches

Staff Sergeant
Jan 25, 2009
Newark, UK
BR126 was famously the Spit that Canadian pilot Jerry Smith landed back on USS Wasp when his fuel feed malfunctioned during Operation Bowery, one of the "club run" ops that sent desperately needed Spitfires to the defence of Malta in 1942. Smith and the aircraft returned to Gibraltar with Wasp and then flew off HMS Eagle shortly thereafter, making it to Malta without a hitch this time (sadly Smith was KIA later the same year).

According to Paul Lucas's excellent Colour Conundrums articles BR126 was repainted in overall blue during her brief layover in Gib, and received yellow GL-E (for 185 Squadron) at the same time. However some of this doesn't quite stack up for me (I acknowledge of course that Mr Lucas has had eyes on a lot of stuff I haven't).

BR126 features on pages 104/105 of Brian Cauchi's Malta Spitfire Vs, I'd dearly love to have a copy on my shelf but crazy money is being asked for copies (it's OOP of course), I there is the video below but the text is illegible - I wondred if anyone out there might have a copy and be able to fill me in on what Mr Cauchi has to say about it?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgBwopJI5ME

br126.jpg

Source: Spitfire MkVcTrop RAF 185Sqn GLE BR126 Malta 15th Jun 1942 01

Thanks

Tony

The pic above was taken with the orthochromatic film. Here you are a shot taken with the standard photographic one.

Yes I've seen that pic too, thanks, doesn't answer the question of what colour it was though (still, I think my posting the pic wasn't that helpful in determining exactly when BR126 was repainted - Gibraltar, or Malta?)

So I think my questions about BR126 have been answered... today the postie delivered a copy of the wondrously detailed Malta: The Spitfire Year 1942 by Shores et al., wherein it is stated that BR126 still carried the codes "3-X" when Jerry Smith flew her of HMS Eagle, nine days after his abortive takeoff from USS Wasp.

BR126 text.jpg

This, together with the fact that Smith doesn't mention a repaint of "his" aircraft in his logbook, suggests to me that BR126 was repainted in Malta, not Gibraltar.

Furthermore, Spitfire BR294 also carried yellow "GL-E" codes; this Spit came in on Operation Bowery, that is to say it flew to Malta from Wasp the same day as BR126 didn't. BR294 crash landed at Hal Far on 2/7/42 and was struck off charge the next day. BR126 clearly carried "GL-E" codes but these can only have been applied after the demise of BR294, they can't have been there when Smith took off from Eagle. As I want to build BR126 as she appeared during takeoff (either will do!), with 90 gallon slipper tank and four cannon, "3-X"/TSS it is. Decals for this scheme aren't available at present (AFAIK), however Eduard are launching Malta Vc "Dual Combo" in a couple of months which features this scheme (and will no doubt be the catalyst for some, er, "healthy debate" on internet modelling forums :lol:). Better start saving up then!

malta spits.jpg

Source: SPITFIRE STORY: MALTA DUAL COMBO Limited Edition | HLJ.com

I feel I'm on thin ice contradicting Mr Lucas's highly regarded work, but there you go!

2996 Victor 2996 Victor - fyi mate!

So I think my questions about BR126 have been answered... today the postie delivered a copy of the wondrously detailed Malta: The Spitfire Year 1942 by Shores et al., wherein it is stated that BR126 still carried the codes "3-X" when Jerry Smith flew her of HMS Eagle, nine days after his abortive takeoff from USS Wasp.

View attachment 712166

This, together with the fact that Smith doesn't mention a repaint of "his" aircraft in his logbook, suggests to me that BR126 was repainted in Malta, not Gibraltar.

Furthermore, Spitfire BR294 also carried yellow "GL-E" codes; this Spit came in on Operation Bowery, that is to say it flew to Malta from Wasp the same day as BR126 didn't. BR294 crash landed at Hal Far on 2/7/42 and was struck off charge the next day. BR126 clearly carried "GL-E" codes but these can only have been applied after the demise of BR294, they can't have been there when Smith took off from Eagle. As I want to build BR126 as she appeared during takeoff (either will do!), with 90 gallon slipper tank and four cannon, "3-X"/TSS it is. Decals for this scheme aren't available at present (AFAIK), however Eduard are launching Malta Vc "Dual Combo" in a couple of months which features this scheme (and will no doubt be the catalyst for some, er, "healthy debate" on internet modelling forums :lol:). Better start saving up then!

View attachment 712168

Source: SPITFIRE STORY: MALTA DUAL COMBO Limited Edition | HLJ.com

I feel I'm on thin ice contradicting Mr Lucas's highly regarded work, but there you go!

2996 Victor 2996 Victor - fyi mate!
Thanks, Tony, interesting stuff! I might well invest in the Shores book as well. It looks like Eduard are going all guns blazing for the Malta Dual Combo edition, and as you say, healthy debate will no doubt ensue :lol:

Cheers,
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back