spitfire movement card

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

stuart3009

Airman
Sep 9, 2019
can anyone help where can i obtain spitfire movemnt card for spitfire vb w3827

RAF Museum Hendon holds a range of records relating to individual aircraft, see the linked page for details.

If you go to that page on their website, have a look at the 'Archive Collection' listing down the left hand side of the page for details of other archive material in their collection with links to go to descriptions of that material.

However, a quick look in the aircraft details included in 'Spitfire the History' by Morgan & Shacklady gives the following as extracted from the Form 78.

W3827 2015 Holt V FF 29-8-41 24MU 29-8 316S 17-10 FACE 26-3 42 SOC

Last edited:
Last I checked, all aircraft movement cards are held by the RAF's Air Historical Branch. Their contact details are provided in this website:

Best place to go is the RAF Museum rather than the AHB. The AHB holds the records until they've been declassified, after the 30 year rule, then they go to Hendon for public consumption. AHB would probably recommend you go to DoRIS at Hendon. They used to be on microfiche in the Reading Room.

Best place to go is the RAF Museum rather than the AHB. The AHB holds the records until they've been declassified, after the 30 year rule, then they go to Hendon for public consumption. AHB would probably recommend you go to DoRIS at Hendon. They used to be on microfiche in the Reading Room.

Well...yes and no. I agree that Hendon is probably the best bet in terms of ease of access and speed of response. However, back in the early noughties I regularly visited the AHB to access WW2 Aircraft Movement and Casualty Record Cards. They had an entire room of small wooden drawers filled with cards. That's not to say copies haven't been sent to Hendon but I can't comment on access there because I've never tried it.

Well...yes and no. I agree that Hendon is probably the best bet in terms of ease of access and speed of response. However, back in the early noughties I regularly visited the AHB to access WW2 Aircraft Movement and Casualty Record Cards. They had an entire room of small wooden drawers filled with cards. That's not to say copies haven't been sent to Hendon but I can't comment on access there because I've never tried it.

Yup, the originals are held by the AHB, whereas Hendon had copies on microfische. The general public are nominally encouraged to go to Hendon rather than the AHB, simply because DoRIS had the facilities to deal with public enquiries. DoRIS had, at the time I worked there, nine dedicated research staff, whereas the AHB was much smaller - I don't know exactly, but it certainly didn't have a research department the size of DoRIS. I visited only once when it was at Bentley Priory.

Check on RAF Commands Forum, "General". Those chaps are always helpful and someone likely can help. I have a source for RAF Bomber movement card.

Jim

Ok, so I found this using the RAF Commands Search engine:

Jim

RAF Museum Hendon holds a range of records relating to individual aircraft, see the linked page for details.

If you go to that page on their website, have a look at the 'Archive Collection' listing down the left hand side of the page for details of other archive material in their collection with links to go to descriptions of that material.

However, a quick look in the aircraft details included in 'Spitfire the History' by Morgan & Shacklady gives the following as extracted from the Form 78.

W3827 2015 Holt V FF 29-8-41 24MU 29-8 316S 17-10 FACE 26-3 42 SOC
many thanks

I put up a post with a screen capture of the results of my search, above. It seems to have disappeared.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back