Spitfire Part no 6A/685 Change glass

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mar 22, 2021
Hi everyone

Looking for some help regarding replacing the glass on this instrument does anyone know how to remove the old glass cant see any screws thanks David.
s-l160660 (24).jpg
s-l16070 (24).jpg

David,

These are single body type instruments. Take a look above the "9" on the face of your instrument. There is a retaining ring that holds the glass in place. If you look you can see the break in the ring right above the "9". I use dental tools or similar to get behind one side of the ring break and pry up. You can then remove the ring and replace the glass. Fairly easy although some can be frustrating to remove. Just be careful not to cut yourself on the old glass!

Hope this helps,

Hi everyone

Looking for some help regarding replacing the glass on this instrument does anyone know how to remove the old glass cant see any screws thanks David.View attachment 616998View attachment 616999

David,

Almost forgot.....I can't remember if this model is radium or not....I think it is but I would have to find the docs on it.....either way....wear and mask and gloves and DO NOT breath in any dust particles from the instrument face once the glass is removed. I usually mist the face with water and pat down with lint free cloth.....just in case.

The important thing is to not breath any of it into your lungs.....and wear gloves.

David,

These are single body type instruments. Take a look above the "9" on the face of your instrument. There is a retaining ring that holds the glass in place. If you look you can see the break in the ring right above the "9". I use dental tools or similar to get behind one side of the ring break and pry up. You can then remove the ring and replace the glass. Fairly easy although some can be frustrating to remove. Just be careful not to cut yourself on the old glass!

Hope this helps,

That's great really appreciate your help, never noticed the retaining clip all the other altimeters I have opened up all had screws holding a bezel, hopefully all goes well, and yes it does have radium paint have a Geiger meter and its beeping away at 90 millisieverts so I will be masking up. Thanks again David.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back