Spitfire Type 224 - Searching info!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IIRC, all I know is that it was a predecessor of the famed fighter off the board in the early 1930s. Had fixed undercarriage. Tended, I think, to wing weakness. Quite experimental.

John

Thanks John, however, I already kinda knew that - the thing I
m looking for is a complex profile with description and additive info, like technical data, color profiles, pictures...

But thank you anyway! 8)

Not sure if Profile Publications did a profile of it in their Spitfire series. They probably did a few paragraphs on it and had side and possibly 3 views if they are like many of the other Profiles on other aircraft.

David
RAFster

Thanks RAFster! The problem is that I don't have any Spitfire monography. I have Hurricane, wildcat, P-47, Bf 109... But no Spit! :(

Thanks you anyway.

Well here is a picture.

The aircraft had gull wings and 2 machine guns in the wheel fairings. The aircraft could only reach a top speed of 228 mph.

That is basically all the info that I have on it.

Attachments

• spit224.JPG
    spit224.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 173
Have you checked The Spitfire Story by Alfred Price ?

I have a copy, I will see what there is.

I will sc@n the part on the type 224, there are 4 pictures and some text.

I will do it this evening.

Good luck, hope it helps.

You can pick up the Profile Publications on ebay, you may have to compete to get the ones you want though...

Very little info on:
Supermarine Spitfire I-III

More text and the above posted photo RJ Mitchell. A life in Aviation - The Supermarine Spitfire - Design

Have you used a Google search for Supermarine Type 224?

You may need to use Google's cache feature for the text for some links as the information is no longer on the website but Google has the text in it's information memory/disk stores.

RAFster
David

as part of the 70 year celebrations of the Spitfire Flypast have done a fantastic series of articles on the Spitfire, including a brilliant a two part article on the Type 224 in the March and April 2006 issues, it's far too much info to type up but it does give technical figures, which i shall put below, i may be able to answer some specifics but if he's serious then they will ship copies to the Czech Republic, for both copies it'll be roughly £10 including P&P but it IS worth it, some very good stuff, plus of course the rest of the articles in there, although you'll have to translate for him, there're countless pictures of the aircraft and information about all the other aircraft going for the same contract, some of which were very odd! i'd scan it all if i could but i can't i'm afraid............

Type 224 'Spitfire'

Powerplant- RR Goshawk II
Rated at- 600Hp
Wingspan- 45ft 10inch
Length- 29ft 5inch
Height- 11ft 11inch
Wing area- 295 square ft.
Empty weight- 3,442lbs
Loaded weight- 4,743lbs
Max. speed- 228mph @ 15,000ft
Climb to 15,000ft- 9.5 minutes
Service ceiling- 38,800ft
Armament- 4x .303mg

You can pick up the Profile Publications on ebay, you may have to compete to get the ones you want though...

Very little info on:
Supermarine Spitfire I-III

More text and the above posted photo RJ Mitchell. A life in Aviation - The Supermarine Spitfire - Design

Have you used a Google search for Supermarine Type 224?

You may need to use Google's cache feature for the text for some links as the information is no longer on the website but Google has the text in it's information memory/disk stores.

RAFster
David
Hi Rafster!

Yes, I am familiar with these sites. I always use Google first. May I repeat it is a very hard task because I am finding the info for a guy who doesn't speak English and every time I pass him something new, he sends me a ":(" smiley and says he already knows this...

Lanc, that looks great, thanks!!!! 8)

like i say i have got more info but as i'm sure you understand it'd be impossible to convey it all unless i scan it which i can't!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back