Spitfire Vb wing stiffeners, camo scheme, propeller and spinner...? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello,

I start a Spitfire Vb trop., the project is ER821 and I'm wondering if the wing stiffeners were automatically added on the production line. It's stated that these stiffeners were added during July 1942 on the production line but I saw a photo of ER220, built apparently in August 1942 without these stiffeners. ER821 was built later, apparently during October 1942...
Other point, does the camo scheme is really only the "A scheme" for the Spitfires wearing a tropical camo during 1943 ? I noticed some Spitfire Vb trop. during this period with unusual tropical camo...

TIA
Stéph.

spit-serialsa1-jpg.jpg

spit-serials-jpg.jpg

spit-serialsb-jpg.jpg

Also I have tried to find shots of the Spitfire MkVb trop of the ER series with the wing area. Here the ER220, ER676, ER679 and the ER939. However the ER939 is said to be the Mk.Vc kite. Anyway none of them seems to have the stiffeners.

ER220.jpg

ER676.jpg

ER679.jpg

Spit Vc ER939.jpg

the source: the Internet.

:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Thank you Wojtek, these photos and informations confirm my doubts about these stiffeners on all aircrafts buils after the Summer 1942...
These photos confirm also a same and unique camo scheme.

As memo serves the stiffeners are the modification ad hoc because of the top wing skin cracking at the weel bay areas. Not all planes had this attached. Later the stiffeners were moved into the wing interior.

Hello,

Another thing that intrigues me... My project, the Spitfire Vb ER821 is an aircraft manufactured by Castle Bromwich, identical to the ER220, ER676 and ER570 above. But, in the photos, the only bird to have the Rotol propeller and spinner normally installed by CBAF on their Spitfires appears to be ER220. Looks like the others have a De Havilland propeller and spinner. And it seems that it is the same on ER821 on the photo that I have...

Was there a reason to replace Rotol equipment with De Havilland?
TIA
Stéph

I have had a quick look at the article in the Info Edurad.
According to that the Spitfires Mk.V manufactured at mother company Supermarine mostly featured De Havilland Hydromatic Type 5/29A, 5/39, 45/1 and 45/4 propellers. The same propellers were installed on Spitfires Mk.V manufactured by Westland.
Spitfires Mk.V manufactured by CBAF were traditionally equipped with more reliable and popular propellers Rotol RX5/14 and RX5/24 with metal blades, later with propellers RX5/10 with wooden blades Jablo of a slightly smaller diameter (3.12 meters compared to 3.28 meters of metal propeller).

Oh sorry ... I have omitted one more info from the article ... "De Havilland Hydromatic Type propellers demanded careful maintenance and pitch control assembly tended to freeze at high altitudes."
So it might have been the reason for getting the De Havilland Hydromatic prop replaced with the Rotol one seen in the ER220 shot because of damaging for instance.

Here is the photo I talk about, taken during March 1943 on ER821
Duke N. F.-Spit Vb Trop, ER821, mars 1943.jpg
Taking into account the width of the propeller blades, it seems that is a De Havilland propeller (and spinner).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back