Spitfire wing tips

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

thedab

Airman 1st Class
Apr 21, 2013
norwich
Right I may feel a bit of a fool to ask this but, the wing tips on the spitfire, can they be taken off and

change. i.e. form normal tips to clipped, can this be done.

Yes.

Are you an Observed Motorcycle Trials Rider? Your name implies that to an old trials enthusiast and 4 time Arozina state champion avanced class.

I rode Montesa, Bultaco, Yamaha, Beta, and ... finally an Aprilia. Was about to get a Gas-Gas when I stopped riding in events ... regretted it ever since, but it was economic, not physical.

Last edited:
it's my nick name, which i got when I work off shore. it's something to do with a type of fish.

Initially the tips fitted to clipped wings were wooden with no wiring or navigation lights. Later versions were purpose built with lights etc.
Cheers
Steve

Yes.

Are you an Observed Motorcycle Trials Rider? Your name implies that to an old trials enthusiast and 4 time Arozina state champion avanced class.

I rode Montesa, Bultaco, Yamaha, Beta, and ... finally an Aprilia. Was about to get a Gas-Gas when I stopped riding in events ... regretted it ever since, but it was economic, not physical.

Greg, I had a friend who had four Bultacos and few others when I was growing up. He rode them all the time. Not professionally though.

Interestingly enough, Bultaco, Montessa, and Ossa were all built in Barcelona, not too far apart from one another. Somewhere in my stuff I still have a pristine new Bultaco tank decal and some from Montesa and Ossa, too. Mostly Montesa.

Parts always came on a very slow boat from Spain, and the rubber was always poor quality. We always carried 4 or 5 extra seals for the shifter shaft and the kickstarter shaft, along with a couple of kickstarter return springs. They broke only at very inconvenient times, usually in competition when time was short. So we also carried a couple of big rubber bands in the tool kit for such occasions.

The only time we needed the rubber bands was right after we misplaced them since that is exactly when the kickstarter spring would inevitably break.

None of them had a good clutch untl Montesa partnered with Honda. Then the clutch became perfect.

Though they had their faults, they were the best observed trials motorcycles on the planet for a long time.

No more motorcycle stuff in this aviation forum, at least from me in this thread ...

i knew a guy near me ( late 60s early 70s ) who raced CZs and he had a one lung 500cc something...maybe a maico? it was a beast! he offered to let me ride it but it scared the hell out of me so i never did. loved the old CZs and huskies tho.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back