Spitfires and Fuel Tanks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Howard Gibson

Staff Sergeant
791
630
Oct 7, 2021
Toronto Canada
JHG_0857.JPG

JHG_0861.JPG

JHG_0853.JPG

JHG_0841.JPG

JHG_0862.JPG

JHG_0865.JPG

JHG_0868.JPG
JHG_0870.JPG

JHG_0880.JPG
JHG_0881.JPG

I visited Canadian Warplane Heritage's Warplane Fly-In on Saturday. It was not a huge event, but I have shared photos, above. This was a de Havilland Chipmunk event, so I included some.

I have a question...



JHG_0848.JPG

JHG_0849.JPG
Above, we see the port and starboard wings of Spitfire XVIII, TP280, registered in Canada as C-GANI. This is a rebuild/restoration, and the term "ship of Theseus" may apply. According to all of my literature, Spitfire_XIVs and XVIIIs had a pair of 13imp.gal in the leading edge of each wing, ahead of the wheels, i.e., inboard of the guns. This aircraft has 25imp.gal tanks outboard of the guns. I could find no sign of the 31imp.gal tank in the fuselage behind the pilot.

Is this correct equipment for a Spitfire_XVIII, or has somebody modified this thing?
 
My books are packed away so can't check. However, it would not be unusual for a modern flyer to have made such modifications as part of their certification. The owner may not have seen a need for a fuselage tank for his purposes.
 
Per the All Knowing,

AI Overview

Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XVIIIe TP280 (registered as C-GANI) was rebuilt with fuel tanks installed in its wings. [1]

Spitfire TP280 Fuel System Details
    • Aircraft Identity: TP280 is a surviving Spitfire FR Mk.XVIIIe configuration. [1]
    • Wing Tanks: Rebuilt to include internal fuel storage capacity within the wing structures alongside standard fuselage configurations for extended operational range. [1]
    • Restoration History: Underwent multiple extensive rebuilds, including the specialized fitting of its wing fuel systems prior to its flight return in 2007. [1]

If you're looking for specific maintenance records or flight manuals for TP280 or the Spitfire Mk.XVIII, let me know how I can help you narrow down the details.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back