Stabilizer ID (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

v8sharkie

Airman
Mar 27, 2014
Trying to get an ID on this stabilizer and wanted to see if anyone can help ID. I can't seem to find an exact match. Anyone have an idea? The tag dates to pre-war (30's)

00u0u_3JGdEO7OkvK_600x450.jpg
00w0w_1YAAi7aANGH_600x450.jpg
00n0n_7cJ19rvM9Kq_600x450.jpg

Looks like it came off a Douglas Dauntless but someone who knows the numbers on the placard should be able to confirm. You might want to post the numbers as the pic is hard to read.

Thanks Crimea - I thought that, too. The tag is unfortunately very hard to read. I'll see if I can get a better photo. The overall shape is similar to that of a Dauntless, but there are the curved arms that attach to the elevator. I'm having trouble finding a photo with an exact match (and I feel like the elevators aren't the same size - these seem smaller than the ones in photos when the arms are present). So far all I've come up with are Curtiss SOC Seagull and SBC Helldiver. Here's some of what I've found:
Curtiss_SBC-4_(1816)_(7162582322).jpg
SON-1_1939_NAN9-57.jpg

There used to be a deralict BT-13 on the north west corner of Jerusalem Avenue and I believe Bellmore Avenue (in the town of Bellmore here on Long Island, NY) that my Dad would take me to every few years. Each year there would be less and less of it, until the last time there was just the rear fuselage. Maybe, since that area was once a flower growing haven it was modified for crop dusting and left to rot when civilization crept it, but that's just a guess. Amazingly, two of my coworkers also remember it from their childhood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back