Storch Upper Cross

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Casor

Airman
Dec 4, 2020
Working on a scale flying model of a C-3 German Storch. My question centers around the proper cross (balkenkreuz) on the upper surface of the wings. I have seen photos of both the narrow and wide white border present on the upper surface in period photos of the Storch, which seems to conflict with Luftwaffe markings protocol - Per Wik, which is consistent with all my German markings books. To wit:

"The Luftwaffe used two specifications for the Balkenkreuz:
  • one with narrower white "flanks" on upper wing surfaces – before July 1939, it was used in all six regular positions on an airframe
  • one with wider white "flanks" surrounding the same width (25% wide as long from end to end for both versions) central black cross beneath the wings and on the fuselage sides of German military aircraft during the war years."

Here's a period photo showing the wide white on the upper - I have others showing both wide and narrow
fi156col.jpg

And here is probably the most accurate resto of a Storch at the Collings Foundation:
Overall06.jpg

Can anyone shed some light on this apparent deviation from Luftwaffe markings protocol?
Thank you
Rob

Actually the ww2 Luftwaffe used three variants for the national markings. The first one was introduced in September 1935 and then was changed in Autumn 1936. At the turn of 1939/1940 the third one was introduced. See the diagrams below. As you may see there weren't any exact dimension stated. Just the proportions that allowed to fit the marking to a plane. As memo serves the only precise dimension was the "W" (a,b) one defined for all aircraft types and the cross shape ( type ) for the surfaces it was going to be applied. I mean the fuselage sides, the wing tops and undersides. The national markings were applied in the factory usually . So the cross type/size depended on the time the plane was made. But if there was a need to replace the markings with the new ones at the field it could happen that the maintence crew could paint the signs with different proportions. What is more, the different in size markings could be because of delaying in following the RLM orders and regulations. To sum up .. although there were RLM orders and rules actually no rules. Therefore it is good to find at least one image of the plane you are going to replicate.

lw cross.jpg

5-jpg.jpg

Here is an example of the markings for the BF 109. As you may notice the base for the top wing cross and the undersides and the fuselage side ones is different ( 1000 and 950 ). It resulted in different size of each of the marking. Additionally the dimensions of the cross vary for each of loactions slightly. It results in different appearance ( type ) of the marking.

bf109.jpg

the source: the net.

And a couple of the different markings used for the Fi 156 .. all are dated on 1940-1943

The one seems to have still the 1935 narrow cross on undersides but the new 1936 one on the fuselage side.
Fieseler-Fi-156_1940-41.jpg

The two have the 1936 crosses applied.
Fieseler-Fi-156-Storch_.jpg

Fieseler-Fi-156_1940.jpg

This one has the standard 1939/1940 markings
Fieseler-Fi-156_1941.jpg

while the one has them as well but of the large size what was quite common at the beginning of the 1940 when the new marking replaced the old narrow one.
Fieseler-Fi-156-Storch.jpg

and the 1936 cross on tops
Fieseler-Fi-156-Storch-Stkz-PH+WG-crashsite-Russia-Bund-169-0146.jpg

and the 1939/40 marking on tops
Fieseler-Fi-156-Storch.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Wurger - thank you for the comprehensive info on this. I think the takeaway here is when was the plane built and placed in service. I have numerous period examples of both crosses being used on the upper surfaces. Unfortunately, I have only a single photo of the BW+CA Storch wihch is the one I am modeling. Been searching for more, but that's all I have for now. This photo is in a number of my books on the airdraft and was the box photo for the 93" Svenson Storch flying model.
Thank you again.
Rob

Storch BWCA.jpg

I see. I have found the same pic but of a better qulity. It can be noticed that both the fuselage cross and the one on the undersides were of the late type. The pic was taken over Russia in 1942. According to a couple of sources including the soviets ones it was the C-1 varinat of the Stroch. IMHO the top markings were of the same type these seen in the pic. Usually these on tops were slightly smaller than those on undersides.
Here is a screenshot o fthe decal markings of the ABT Decals set. I would say these are correct in the cross size.

fi156.jpg

p28_1.jpg

the pic source: the net.

The C variant of the Fi 156 was introduced on assembling lines in 1939 with the pre-production C-0 sub-type. The production of the C-1 started in 1939/1940. So the late German LW markings are almost sure.

Fi 156 C-0: Pre-production. Essentially a "flexible" version of the A model. (produced in 1939)
Fi 156 C-1: Three-seat liaison version. (produced in 1939–1940)
Fi 156 C-2: Two-seat observation type, which had a raised, fully glazed rear dorsal gun position for mounting a MG 15 machine gun for defense. (produced in 1940)
Fi 156 C-3: Replaced the C-1 and C-2 with a "universal cockpit" suited for any role. (produced in 1940–1941)
Fi 156 C-3/Trop: Version adapted for tropical and desert conditions. Filtered intakes. (produced in 1940–1942)
Fi 156 C-5: Addition of a belly hardpoint for a camera pod or jettisionable auxiliary tanks. Some were fitted with skis, rather than wheels, for operation on snow. (produced in 1941–1945)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back