Strange ailerons in the Spitfire

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm assuming that you mean the fact that the hinges are set back fro the leading edge of the aileron?

If so, its common to most aircraft, and is there to counteract adverse yaw.
Basically, the downgoing aileron causes an increase in lift, and a corresponding increase in drag, which causes yaw (in the opposite direction of the intended turn). By having a portion of the upgoing aileron extend below the wing, it increases drag on the other side to compensate.

b4983b255679474c8c0edb53d7f8836f.jpg

Yes, that hinges are not situated at the leading edge of the aileron is quite clear from the drawing above, but still I can't visualize the movement, or better, it is as if I had an optical illusion...

You're both correct.
And thanks for that film. Very enjoyable.

Fantastic film. Frise ailerons are still in use today and in the Yak-50, Yak-52 and Yak C-11 aircraft I look after, the protuding leading edge also contains a substantial counterweight no doubt to offset the weight of the main structure. If you take ailerons off the aircraft it is very easy to get caught out by the extreme nose-heaviness of the ailerons and drop them because you are supporting the aileron where you think is right but the centre of gravity is way further forward!

Oddly enough it was the Wrights who first encountered adverse yaw and acted on it, in their 1902 glider. Orville suffered a nasty crash as the glider entered into a spiral dive and as a consequence they called it "well-digging". It led them to interconnect the wing warping cradle that they lay on with the actuation of the vertical rudders simultaneously. Initially the vertical surfaces on Wright gliders were fixed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back