Supermarine Spitfire (any)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

AndyErsek85

Airman
Dec 2, 2018
Switzerland
Good day ladies and gentlemen

My Name is Andy and I am from Switzerland, 33 years old and I study aircraftingeneering in Zurich (now 5th out of 6 Semesters). In one of my "Subjects" «Aircraft structures and design» I have to make an Analysis project of the Spitfire, including stress calculations and documentation with its Models, aso…

I printed some aircorps-libraryI prints (i read it in an other topic in this Forum) to identify the principal and critical stress Elements. I organized the book "Spitfire - The History" from E.B. Morgan & Ed Shacklady but that didnt help that much :( Is there any Chance to get some main Details and Pictures about the Aircraft? I mean like measurments (spars, beams, frames etc) and the types of material which where used originally? For that Project i have to analize the structure of the wing tank, identification of critical structure elements (fracture and maintenance critical). Additional to that I should Show the structure design philosophy and introduce what makes the Spitfire so unique.

The Goals of this projekt are stress calculation of the wings and fuselage (bending beams, the Frames and Skin) during manouver.

It would be more than helpful if someone please can help me out with some of the asked details.

Thank you very much

Although the goal is to perform stress calculations, 90% of your effort will likely be in trying to find info on the structure. Drawings are rare but can be purchased. Someone has posted links in another thread on this site. Perhaps your school should have purchased the relevant drawings so that the students wouldn't have to waste a lot of time finding the needed info.

I can only offer a description of the structure but no details as to member sizes and specific aluminum materials. The Sptifire's wing spar consists of two tapered square tubes separated by two aluminum sheets that form the webs of the beam. The top and bottom tubes are tapered by inserting progressively smaller tubes inside larger sections as shown here:

SpitfireSparBoomsandSparWeb_post.jpg

The fuselage consists of former frames between which span longerons. The skin is riveted to the frames and longerons.

tegningoverframesispitkrop.jpg

The only Thing I got from the University was the Book "Spitfire- The history" my major Problem ist, ther isnt even lightly a hint which Kind om aluminium alloys had been used. I can remember @Flyboy J talked about used material, (maybe I'll send him a message to find out what's been used for) but I wasnt able to finde the threads again :( . The drawings from Aircorps library ar great and I found a lot of details browsing throug these blue prints.

Have a nice day so far, C u

The Spitfire wing was a stressed skin structure, the beam(s) were two "arrangements of concentric square sections becoming progressively thinner along the wing as per the diagram. However the material of these beams was changed to higher strength (yield) stainless steel at some time in the war. Also the skin of the wings in compression or tension was part of the design as far a loading goes, and I believe the gauge of the skin was also increased at some stage.

The Spitfire wing was a stressed skin structure, the beam(s) were two "arrangements of concentric square sections becoming progressively thinner along the wing as per the diagram. However the material of these beams was changed to higher strength (yield) stainless steel at some time in the war. Also the skin of the wings in compression or tension was part of the design as far a loading goes, and I believe the gauge of the skin was also increased at some stage.
Thanks for the information

Good day ladies and gentlemen

My Name is Andy and I am from Switzerland, 33 years old and I study aircraftingeneering in Zurich (now 5th out of 6 Semesters). In one of my "Subjects" «Aircraft structures and design» I have to make an Analysis project of the Spitfire, including stress calculations and documentation with its Models, aso…

I printed some aircorps-libraryI prints (i read it in an other topic in this Forum) to identify the principal and critical stress Elements. I organized the book "Spitfire - The History" from E.B. Morgan & Ed Shacklady but that didnt help that much :( Is there any Chance to get some main Details and Pictures about the Aircraft? I mean like measurments (spars, beams, frames etc) and the types of material which where used originally? For that Project i have to analize the structure of the wing tank, identification of critical structure elements (fracture and maintenance critical). Additional to that I should Show the structure design philosophy and introduce what makes the Spitfire so unique.

The Goals of this projekt are stress calculation of the wings and fuselage (bending beams, the Frames and Skin) during manouver.

It would be more than helpful if someone please can help me out with some of the asked details.

Thank you very much

Aircorps Library has a lot of Spitfire drawings, among them of the fuselage and wing structure. With some detective work among those drawings you could collect a lot of the information that will allow you to do your project. Good luck.

Aircorps Library has a lot of Spitfire drawings, among them of the fuselage and wing structure. With some detective work among those drawings you could collect a lot of the information that will allow you to do your project. Good luck.

Yeah, I know that => in line 4 i mentioned i printed some of those drawings

Thanks Anyway :thumbright::thumbright:

Hi AndyErsek85, Your request set me on a search through my library to no great effect. Montforton doesn't deal with the wing spar or trusses in his book Spitfire Mk.IX & XVI Engineered ISBN: 978-0-9784001-0-1
However i did discover a web page which requires a subscription and fee paid which MAY have the required details.
Spitfire - Blueprints, Drawings & Documents | AirCorps Library
All the best with your quest.
G

I have lots of Spitfire drawings on a memory stick, PM me and let me know what parts you want and I will see what I have. But I will point out i rarely visit here, so If I forget to check I am sorry.

I have the odd ones online too as I was helping someone modelling one, but his main concern was not structure, see

Spit Drawings by Tony Taylor

Airscale Cockpit by Tony Taylor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back