Surviving PB4Y-2 Privateer

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
One of the very few surviving PB4Y-2 Privateers, shown at Reno. This one was modified with a new nose and other modifications. I think this may have been one modified for missile testing. I also think the engines and cowls may be from a B-25, a popular modification for forest fire bomber versions. Photo from Av Week.
Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 10-59-05 ‘That’s all folks’.png

I believe there is a museum in TX that has one that is more original, with the ERCO nose turret.

It's been said that one of the drawbacks of the B-24 was that there was no good space for the navigator to look out a window and see where he really was. I guess that especially applied to the later models with the nose turret. On at least some of the postwar Privateers that problem seems to have been addressed with that new nose. It sure is ugly, though.

That is the only no Air Tanker converted Privateer I have seen still in existance! Thanks for posting it! Looks to still have the original engines & cowlings, along with the turrets.

Notice that the one at Reno as well as the one in the Pensacola museum has bulged out side windows in the cockpit. I recall reading where a USAAF B-24 pilot said that all of a sudden they started getting new B-24's that had bulged out cockpit side windows. They hated them, since they really distorted the view and made formation flying more difficult, so they replaced them with flat side windows. It is not hard to see that for PB4Y-1 and PB4Y-2 ASW and patrol missions such windows would be useful, and there was little or no close formation flying for those missions. So I guess some genius decided to simplify logistics and give them all the bulged out windows.

One of the very few surviving PB4Y-2 Privateers, shown at Reno. This one was modified with a new nose and other modifications. I think this may have been one modified for missile testing. I also think the engines and cowls may be from a B-25, a popular modification for forest fire bomber versions. Photo from Av Week.
View attachment 738245
The highly modified nose indicates to me that the aircraft was last used by the USCG and was known as the PB4Y-2G.

It's my understanding that ithis well-worn PB4Y-2 ended up in Central America with the Honduran Air Force.

Attachments

• PB4Yrev.jpg
    PB4Yrev.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 12
I've been wondering that as well. The trees are planted as windbreaks, like they did in locations along the Central Coast of CA. I would suspect Pt Mugu.
The southland had Eucalyptus windbreaks all over, due to the vast tracts of citrus groves: Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego Counties all had them.

However, Consolidated was based in San Diego (the other three plants were back east), so this may narrow down the photo's location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back