Most numerous surviving ww2 warbird type?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maxrobot1

Senior Airman
Sep 28, 2009
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but in 2023, which is the most numerous surviving WW2 warbird type? I just read that "...[The] Avenger is a rare survivor of a type of warplane that was produced in great numbers in World War II, but of which few have survived. Of the 9,839 that were manufactured by Grumman Aircraft and General Motors, it is estimated that only 75 to 100 remain."
Not limiting the count to flight worthy specimens, what might be the top contenders? Mustangs would be in the group, of course. DC-3/C-47s too.

It can be a vexed question. Some WW2 types didnt take part in the war while others are in effect new planes, built around a recovered data plate.

Can you think of some non-U.S. types that might be around? Tiger Moths maybe? Spitfires?

Here's a list of most warbirds that exist. Not sure how up to date they all are.

The AT-6/SNJ or Stearman would be first place, C-47/DC-3 second place. For fighters, the P-51 wins, Spitfires second, P-40's third, Corsair's fourth.

Approx six C-46's still flying.

Speaking of the Avenger.......here is my panel (authentic) from either the XTBF or TBF-1 program. I've managed to find all correct instruments except the right artificial horizon indicator ( I've made a look alike)....should be a Horizon Mark II. If anyone knows the whereabouts of one I'm REALLY interested! Wanted to bring this panel up again in case anyone can positively identify which one it is. I've been working with the Grumman History Center and Smithsonian and still no positive answers. It matches exactly to a pic of a panel labeled "XTBF" from the famous "WWW" but that's not a confirmation by a long shot. The only part numbers on it are on the brackets on the rear and they match numbers verified by the Grumman History Center to only be associated with the XTBF and TBF-1. I also received the first two production panel blueprints (TBF-1) from them and neither match this panel. If anyone has any squirreled away documentation that would help I would greatly appreciate it.
MyXTBF_10_17_22.jpg

Thanks so much mjfur, I have this info and it does confirm that this panel couldn't be from the crashed 2539. Very doubtful the panel would have survived the crash. Here is the photo of reference for my panel. The Grumman photo number is 8994, the best clue to find out exactly which TBM this panel is from. I think the Grumman History Center has the answers just hard to get them to do the research as they are all volunteers. I received this photo from GHC labeled "XTBF-1". Matches my panel EXACTLY, they said XTBF-1 at first then said it might have been mislabeled. So no confirmation yet.

xtbf.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back