Ta-152 H Flap Question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wwz7777

Airman
Mar 12, 2009
Northfield, MN
Hello all,
I'm looking at building a scale model of the Ta-152 and need some guidance on the flap construction. Were they made out of wood or aluminum? The photo of the wings hanging at the Garber Facility is inconclusive since it was sprayed with zinc chromate. I read in Green's book (I think?) that one of the complaints of the Tank was that the flaps needed to be replaced after each sortie due to water damage from the runway. Would it be safe to assume, then, that the flaps were made of wood like the Fw-190 D-13, Yellow 10?
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

The NASM H definitely has metal flaps, but that's definitely an oddball aircraft with wood outboard gun bay service panels and is one of two airframes fitted with a wood tail with integrated fuselage plug. You're right about the wooden flaps needing replaced frequently, that was one of several items noted in a report done by the Fw Technical Field Service Unit in Feb 1945. So ... apparently not all had wooden flaps? ... some (one?) were converted over to (experimental?) metal flaps? We need a Focke Wulf brand Magic Eight Ball for the answers.

Thanks Chuter! That's what they looked like to me as well. I haven't found anything in my books that said production Ta-152 H-1's would have flaps from the dispersed woodworking shops, so maybe a Ta could have either metal or wooden flaps? I'd expect that since the NASM Ta-152 is mostly likely a pre-production model that it would have been given tender care at Cottbus and have the metal flaps. The outboard gun bay panels certainly point to the aircraft being an H-0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back