Ta-152C equivalent to Tempest?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Race 232 was at Chino for some time, It started life as a Sea Fury FB 11. but very little of the FB 11 remains. The only thing still working in the wing fold is the pins that hold the wing down. The rest is now manual. The airfoil is no longer FB 11, having been profiled for racing. The tails have been similarly re-airfoiled for racing. The engine is a Wright R-3350 and the canopy is from a Formula One racer. But it IS a beautiful aircraft to watch flying.

Just before he grenaded the engine last year at Reno, Hoot Gibson lapped at 472 mph around the now shorter and somewhat more rounded course.

Ellsworth Getchell has a stock Sea Fury FB 11 being returned to the air with the original Bristol Centaurus engine and prop. And the Sanders familt got their Centaurus-powered Sea Fury flying again, too. So at least there are still some genuine Sea Furies around for us to see and hear.

Now if we only had a de Havilland Hornet flying ... I'd sure like to see THAT. It has always been my favorite twin, aesthetically that is. For sheer presence, I am a Tigercat fan. It would be great to see them both flying together!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back