TBD-1 Devastator (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There are no surviving Devastators, the last was scrapped in 1944.

Didn't they find one in the water some place? Happened over the last 8 years. I think it was Florida but it may've been in the Great Lakes. There was some kind of brew-ha-ha over who had control over it, the guys that found it or the Navy.

I'm almost sure there is one out there and it is either in court or it's being restored for the Pensacola Museam.

Didn't they find one in the water some place? Happened over the last 8 years. I think it was Florida but it may've been in the Great Lakes. There was some kind of brew-ha-ha over who had control over it, the guys that found it or the Navy.

I'm almost sure there is one out there and it is either in court or it's being restored for the Pensacola Museam.
Yes, as far as I know, there are three known wreckage sites. One off Miami, which, last I'd heard, the navy was claiming jurisdiction over. I don't know where the case wound up. The other two were ditched in Jaluit lagoon in the Marhsall Islands. I think the main hang up there is funding. Here's a web site about the guys trying to raise them as well as few other aircraft - To save a Devastator.

It'd be great to see any of these raised and restored or at least preserved.

There was a SB2U Vindicator raised out of Lake Michigan a few years back and completely restored. I think that one is at Pensacola, The sole survivor of her type, which incidentally, last saw action at Midway with the Marines.

I made a mistake above, the torpedo was slung at 10 degrees, not 15. (now changed in edit)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back